Thread: Ssd and bt

Hybrid View

Very good friend of the forum killadaninja's Avatar

Default Ssd and bt

So im thinking about purchasing one of these babies. Any one have any confirmation or input as to what the compaiability is with lunux O.S`S.
    Sometimes I try to fit a 16-character string into an 8–byte space, on purpose.

this is a sata ssd drive. As long as you have SATA II, you're lucky. If you're with IDE, well...

Very good friend of the forum killadaninja's Avatar

Thanks for your input Gromeo but it`s not just a sata drive its a solid state drive, and i was wondering if anyone has any succsess storys with them and linux
    Sometimes I try to fit a 16-character string into an 8–byte space, on purpose.

running linux on an eee 901, wich uses an asus 16 gb ssd.

the fact that its ssd shouldn't bother the OS, since communication is the same as with any other sata drive.
    sudo nc -lp 1 -c /bin/bash &

As long as your computer supports sata, it doesn't matter what the media actually is. The drive will show up as sdXwhatever.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Default I'd love to afford one!

Quote Originally Posted by killadaninja View Post
    So im thinking about purchasing one of these babies. Any one have any confirmation or input as to what the compaiability is with lunux O.S`S.
    I have no first hand experience of this, but a friend showed me his... and it was so much quicker. He only uses that 'other' o.s. though.

I also have an Eee 901 and I'm running a regular Ubuntu install on its SSD without any issues so far. The major concern with SSDs is the write-cycle lifetime of these drives - you should therefore use a non-journaling filesystem like ext2 to lower write-access to the drive. It's the same drawback as with any flash medium. I implemented some other minor tweaks to address this drawback like e.g. mounting the Firefox Cache-directory to RAM instead of the flashdrive.

Quote Originally Posted by or4n9e View Post
    I also have an Eee 901 and I'm running a regular Ubuntu install on its SSD without any issues so far. The major concern with SSDs is the write-cycle lifetime of these drives - you should therefore use a non-journaling filesystem like ext2 to lower write-access to the drive. It's the same drawback as with any flash medium. I implemented some other minor tweaks to address this drawback like e.g. mounting the Firefox Cache-directory to RAM instead of the flashdrive.
    Must be a cheap ssd then. I've been told you'll most likely replace the machine before an os will kill the drive.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Default "Custom PC" he say 'Si!'

Quote Originally Posted by or4n9e View Post
    According to this months "Custom PC", the 'Vertex' model of the SSD drives solve that problem to an acceptable level.

Just burned his ISO

Hi,

i'm using one of these as system drive for linux and windows

as already said before:

- for the OS'es the technology of data storage doesn't matter, it shows up like any "normal" hard drive

- the limited write cycles especially of MLC SSDs (like the vertex) are considered a problem by lots of people as or4n9e mentioned - wear levelling and the onboard cache should help to minimize the number of writes though

you can find a lot of information on this in the manufacturers message board at h x x p://w w w.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=186, including firmware upgrades (the next one is said to enable the TRIM command, preventing the drive to get slower over time), lots of guides how to prevent unneccessary writes to the drive and many other usefull stuff

there is also a way to determine the remaining life expectancy (i e writes) of your drive using SMART h x x p://w w w.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57898&highlight=smart

all things considered i'm very happy with my vertex (although it's only the 30 GB one), it's very fast compared to a traditional harddisk (high sequential and random transfer speed, low access times, very responsive overall feeling) and it doesn't make any problems

bye

Martin

PS:
    i'm sorry i had to cripple the URLs like this...