Thread: Upgrade BT3 USB Kernel version

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Upgrade BT3 USB Kernel version

Hello,

(unfortunately I was not allowed to write in another subforum so I had to choose this one).

I managed installing BT3 on my USB drive (120 GB).
    Furthermore I succeeded in adding a second partititon to that drive in order to make persistant changes work.

After that worked I tried to upgrade the Kernel to 2.6.25.
    The installation process went successfully.
    But as soon as I tried to reboot my distribution it told my after the kernel got initialized that the BT3 data could not be found.

Is it worth a try to upgrade to a newer Kernel than 2.6.25?

I am sure people have dealt with that before. I couldnt find another thread though...

Do you have any idea what went wrong?

Thanks!
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinst View Post
    Hello,

(unfortunately I was not allowed to write in another subforum so I had to choose this one).

I managed installing BT3 on my USB drive (120 GB).
    Furthermore I succeeded in adding a second partititon to that drive in order to make persistant changes work.

After that worked I tried to upgrade the Kernel to 2.6.25.
    The installation process went successfully.
    But as soon as I tried to reboot my distribution it told my after the kernel got initialized that the BT3 data could not be found.

Is it worth a try to upgrade to a newer Kernel than 2.6.25?

I am sure people have dealt with that before. I couldnt find another thread though...

Do you have any idea what went wrong?

Thanks!
    Kevin

There's got to be at least 15 different threads on upgrading the kernel in BT3. Personally I don't see the point.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Yeah, and only one green doctor managed to upgrade it successfully.... you should look around for a tutorial on that.

And there is a FAQ on that... you don't upgrade the kernel, this is a pentest distro and many of the modules are modified to allow injection for example. If you upgrade without adding the new patched modules, you lose injection.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Personally I don't see the point.
    For the most part, I agree with this statement. Although, in my case I was unhappy with the ipwraw driver. It wasn't as stable as I'd like. The newer iwl3945 driver is much better and more stable. Starting with kernel 2.6.27 the iwl3945 driver has injection built in without patching and only a small patch to the mac80211 subsystem needs to be applied for fragmentation. Also the newer iwlagn driver for the 4965 and 5XXX series Intel cards have injection support built into the 2.6.28 kernel.

Quote Originally Posted by larryhaja View Post
    For the most part, I agree with this statement. Although, in my case I was unhappy with the ipwraw driver. It wasn't as stable as I'd like. The newer iwl3945 driver is much better and more stable. Starting with kernel 2.6.27 the iwl3945 driver has injection built in without patching and only a small patch to the mac80211 subsystem needs to be applied for fragmentation. Also the newer iwlagn driver for the 4965 and 5XXX series Intel cards have injection support built into the 2.6.28 kernel.
    + added BCM43xx Discovery/Injection too + Virtualization like vista/seven have + lots of hacks to play with.

The thing with upgrading the kernel is it may break things that you don't know about. It's usually easier to just go out and buy a supported whatever, than trying to make the OS (that wasn't meant to have the kernel updated) use your currently unsupported whatever. There are exceptions to this, they didn't have to ask how to do the upgrade.

I figure unless something happens to Muts or one of the other devs, BT4 will be out this year. We've already seen some screen shots of it. I'm sure the kernel is updated to something newer than BT3.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    The thing with upgrading the kernel is it may break things that you don't know about. It's usually easier to just go out and buy a supported whatever, than trying to make the OS (that wasn't meant to have the kernel updated) use your currently unsupported whatever. There are exceptions to this, they didn't have to ask how to do the upgrade.

I figure unless something happens to Muts or one of the other devs, BT4 will be out this year. We've already seen some screen shots of it. I'm sure the kernel is updated to something newer than BT3.
    As of now backtrack4 is using 2.6.28