Thread: USB Boot CD?

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default USB Boot CD?

How difficult would it be to create something like this (see link below) for backtrack?

pendrivelinux.com/usb-boot-cd-for-xubuntu-810/

It allows you to boot from usb on computers that don't support usb booting.

Also, has anyone successfully installed backtrack on a PS3 system?

Search the forum. Search the wiki. Search the google. RTFM!

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by gromeo View Post
    Search the forum. Search the wiki. Search the google. RTFM!
    Did you read my post? Notice how it says "boot from USB on computers THAT DONT SUPPORT IT!".

I did search btw, thank you very much.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by MAD Industries View Post
    How difficult would it be to create something like this (see link below) for backtrack?

pendrivelinux.com/usb-boot-cd-for-xubuntu-810/

It allows you to boot from usb on computers that don't support usb booting.

Also, has anyone successfully installed backtrack on a PS3 system?
    If the device doesn't support booting to USB then how would it ever work? Since booting to devices is a BIOS function. The only way around it would be installing a BIOS that supports it, which is even more difficult/dangerous than upgrading the kernel.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Yes, you can boot from USB on a machine whose BIOS doesn't support booting from USB.

You can use pretty much the same approach as you would with any other distro, as you are essentially going to use a separate boot CD or floppy in order to boot from your USB pendrive/hard-drive.

For example, try the "Slax Boot USB" iso from Slax, or "WakePup" from Puppy Linux for a floppy based solution.

There are, of course, other solutions around too

Hope that's of some help!?

Just burned his ISO

As Re@lity stated you can boot from USB on a machine that does not support it in the BIOS. I myself have done this. All I did was open the .iso file and go into /boot/isolinux/isolinux.cfg in this file all you have to do is add the bt nocd parameter and if you created a changes folder add changes = /dev/sda3 or whatever location your USB device is located. This is what the first entry of my isolinux.cfg file looks like:

LABEL cubez
    MENU LABEL BT3 Graphics mode (Compiz) - Experimental
    KERNEL /boot/vmlinuz
    APPEND bt nocd changes=/dev/sda3 vga=0x317 initrd=/boot/initrd.gz ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw chexpand=256 load=cubez autoexec=xconf;cubez;startx

I then saved this file and burned the .iso to a dvd and booted from the cd. And I was able to boot from the USB drive. Hope that helps.

Somewhere on the forum there is instructions on how to do it from a floppy disk, i thought it was a pendrivelinux thing but i cant see it on their site.....

have a look at them (if you can find them!) and copy to cd or try Zer0|Day's method, only other problem i can think of is some older laptops have a 5-10-15(model dependent) second delay before they 'see' their USB ports, i'm sure lilo/grub have some kind of wait/delay option to account for this so if it doesn't work check that first! gave me a real headache a long time ago.... My lappy would not USB boot from 'cold', i needed to load up XP, then restart with the stick in. wierd.

TT
    Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Re@lity View Post
    Yes, you can boot from USB on a machine whose BIOS doesn't support booting from USB.

You can use pretty much the same approach as you would with any other distro, as you are essentially going to use a separate boot CD or floppy in order to boot from your USB pendrive/hard-drive.

For example, try the "Slax Boot USB" iso from Slax, or "WakePup" from Puppy Linux for a floppy based solution.

There are, of course, other solutions around too

Hope that's of some help!?
    Yes, it is. Thank you I will look into those.

Quote Originally Posted by Zer0|Day View Post
    As Re@lity stated you can boot from USB on a machine that does not support it in the BIOS. I myself have done this. All I did was open the .iso file and go into /boot/isolinux/isolinux.cfg in this file all you have to do is add the bt nocd parameter and if you created a changes folder add changes = /dev/sda3 or whatever location your USB device is located. This is what the first entry of my isolinux.cfg file looks like:

LABEL cubez
    MENU LABEL BT3 Graphics mode (Compiz) - Experimental
    KERNEL /boot/vmlinuz
    APPEND bt nocd changes=/dev/sda3 vga=0x317 initrd=/boot/initrd.gz ramdisk_size=6666 root=/dev/ram0 rw chexpand=256 load=cubez autoexec=xconf;cubez;startx

I then saved this file and burned the .iso to a dvd and booted from the cd. And I was able to boot from the USB drive. Hope that helps.
    So when you use this method does it allow you to remove the cd from the computer after its finished booting? (without negative side-effects)