Thread: bootinst.bat fails

Just burned his ISO

Default bootinst.bat fails

(Summary at bottom)

I downloaded the usb flash version of BT3 and tried installing it -- with a great sense of humor and irony -- on my ipod classic, hoping to create a live install with changes. With a full 120gb hd, I think I can spare a few gig for bt3 and take it with me wherever. Anyway, I put the data on my ipod and ran bootinst.bat from the commandline (ensuring the correct cwd). It returned with the error "the parameter is invalid." I've tried it on two different computers, both different versions of XP pro, and had the same result. Unfortunately, syslinux.exe does not have help on its parameters, so I decided to come here and look for help.
    I looked through the forum for other users that encountered this, but could not find any posts concerning this particular problem.

Any ideas or alternatives?

Summary:

Background info: Using BT3 usb version on my ipod 120gb, and following the how-to for creating a live install with changes.
    Attempts: two separate computers, both XP.
    Problem: bootinst.bat fails with "the parameter is invalid."

who told you you can use your ipod as bt3 installation?

Quote Originally Posted by gromeo View Post
    who told you you can use your ipod as bt3 installation?
    Well you can always format your iPod, which will basically turn it into an external HDD. However, it will likely never play music again after that.

To the OP, I do not believe that you can install BT3 on your iPod in the fashion you are attempting, ie. without completely ripping out the soul of the device first.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Just burned his ISO

@gromeo: Common sense told me, and a quick google search verified it, my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by =Tron= View Post
    However, it will likely never play music again after that.
    Actually, I am pretty certain that the 'os' of the ipod is stored entirely in firmware, not on the hard drive. I have already replaced its mbr with another utility, turning it into a usb cd as far as my bios is concerned, and the ipod still works normally as a music player.
    Besides, while scrounging through the hd, I saw nothing of the os. The only thing on it is the folder structure and data I've copied onto it.

That said: I know it is possible, just having trouble with the details now.