Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First WEP that I can't crack

Just burned his ISO

Default First WEP that I can't crack

I thought I would use a new router and ask my friend to put a WEP encryption on it.

What is weird is that the channel changes; airodump was showing it as channel 11, now its gone to 6, then 1, now back to 11 again.

There is no-one connected so I try to crack it clientless (this is has worked around 10 times before). However no matter how many IVs I get aircrack cannot crack it. I got to 3million IVs (using PTW attack) three times and it can't crack it.

Is the router sending out a fake channel so I correct rubbish? However aircrack recognises it as IVs so I'm confused how I can solve this...

Thanks for any suggestions

It is unlikely that a plain vanilla AP or outer would be send fake channels. What is much more likely is that you are too close to the AP, and that the receiver in your attacking computer is suffering RF overload. At what distance is the attacking computer from the AP? Is the SSID set to something truly unique?
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    It is unlikely that a plain vanilla AP or outer would be send fake channels. What is much more likely is that you are too close to the AP, and that the receiver in your attacking computer is suffering RF overload. At what distance is the attacking computer from the AP? Is the SSID set to something truly unique?
    Thanks very much for the reply.

Would that be directly related to the PWR reading? This router is on the first floor, my main router is on the second floor. I am on the third and get a stronger signal from the router on the second floor; which I can crack.

Do you think I should try to crack it from the garden; to dampen the signal?

Typically "power" readings are meaningless, as they are arbitrary. It can't hurt to try it from the garden.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    Typically "power" readings are meaningless, as they are arbitrary. It can't hurt to try it from the garden.
    The SSID is TalkTalkcj553 so I think its quite unique. I'm trying to crack it again - I use the aireplay command to read packets; it found a packet - now it's sending that packet and data is going up very fast.

It's at around 800,000 IVs and aircrack can't crack. I think it takes around 80,000 IVs to crack 128bit for me. And the router is on channel 6 now. This is baffling for me

Thanks again for the support

Just burned his ISO

Is this router a 802.11n router? MIMO might be what you are seeing, I have no firsthand experience yet with N though, so please let us know.

Some routers have the ability to "auto-sense" interference and change channels to a less crowded frequency. Maybe this is what you are experiencing with the strange channel changes?

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Birukun View Post
    Is this router a 802.11n router? MIMO might be what you are seeing, I have no firsthand experience yet with N though, so please let us know.
    I got this off ebay for £20 as I ran out of routers in my house to crack (3) - I'm tempted to cheat and see what settings it has enabled and whether WEP is 64 or 128 bit.

I'll give it another go tomorrow when my Alfa 500mw arrives and then if it fails I will check whether it is an N router (feel like it would be cheating at the moment ) - might explain it as I can only get b and g ... I think

y0ush4

bro i can see one posibility here if you are just alone on a network and triying to crack it will be tuff some routers alwayz deny and detect the attack when only single person is connceted hence failed

My suggestion is when you are on the last command aircrack-ng just try to login to the same network with other device to increase IVS i am sure it will work

Just burned his ISO

You should post a screen capture of aircrack.
    I had exactly the same problem as you, this happened to me only once. Rhere were many parts of the WEP key decrypted by aircrack but one or two bits were never correct.
    Believe it or not, but where I used to crack with 1 million wep, I tried, and tried again... Cracking worked in 5 minutes, and needed an incredible 7 million IVS!!!! Like Aircrack-ng doc says, cracking wep isn't exact science

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast