Thread: WiFi connectivity weirdness

Just burned his ISO

Question WiFi connectivity weirdness

I have an Acer Aspire One 110 with Atheros wireless card AR5BXB63 (AR5006x). On the system I have installed Winblows XP sp2 and I have BackTrack 3 Final on a usb stick. I have a TRENDnet access point (TEW-432BRP) and a Sitecom access point (WL-160) each connected to internet on different ISPs. Both, TRENDnet and Sitecom, are in default factory settings, except for the channel number of Sitecom wich have been changed from 11 to 8.

In Winblows XP everything works well, both Access Points shows up when scanning with WinblowsZeroConfig and allow me to connect and use any of them, Sitecom or TRENDnet.

The problem is that in BackTrack I cannot connect in any way to Sitecom. In fact it isn't even visible. Wireless Assistant, KWiFiManager sees all other APs but not the Sitecom AP. I also tried "iwlist scan" and I got the same result... Sitecom whas the only one not showing as a nearby access point.

The question would be, How can I connect this AP from BackTrack?

The weirdness comes from when I was playing with the Sitecom AP and had it WEP protected so I can test aircrack-ng suite it worked all well: airmon-ng start wifi0, airodump-ng [--ivs -c... bla bla options] ath1, aireplay-ng [association and arp requests] ath1, aircrack-ng revealed the wep key correctly. But after cracking my key I got stuck because I couldn't connect.

this is the output of airodump-ng:

00:XX:XX:XX:XX:67 48 83 10 0 7 54. OPN TRENDnet
    00:XX:XX:XX:XX:13 42 65 7 0 8 54. OPN Sitecom
    00:XX:XX:XX:XX:0E 5 5 5 0 6 54. WEP WEP TP-LINK
    00:XX:XX:XX:XX:91 3 25 6 0 11 54. WPA2 CCMP PSK KARMEN

The Sitecom AP is also visible in Kismet.

I also tried after getting the card back into managed mode (modprobe -r ath_pci ; modprobe ath_pci) to do iwconfig ath0 essid Sitecom, ifconfig ath0 up, dhcpcd ath0, but won't connect. If I would change essid to my other network (TRENDnet) will get an IP and connect within 10 secs.

So, any ideas on how can I connect to Sitecom AP from BackTrack?

Thanks alot

Did you make sure to reset that Sitecom back to open prior to open before connection again?

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by hatake_kakashi View Post
    Did you make sure to reset that Sitecom back to open prior to open before connection again?
    I'm afraid that I don't understand your question. English it's not my primary language.

If you're asking about reseting the Sitecom to factory defaults, I did that and acts the same: invisible to BackTrack but working just fine in Winblows XP. The reason I was changing the channel to 8 is because there's another AP in my area on channel 11, default Sitecom's channel.