Thread: channel for ap

Default channel for ap

hiya guys. whilst testing the security on my acccess point i noticed that i can pick up about 7 more networks on the same channel (11).
    anyway the power readout leads me to believe that these networks are close by. not knowing much about wifi i was just wondering could these other networks on the same channel be causing any interfeirance with my own?
    all the other networks that show up seem to be on channel 6 so if i change to channel 9 would i see any difference in my connection speed or anything?

Nope it won't affect the connection speed if you change the channels i.e 11 to 9 etc.the connection speed depends on the transmission rate of AP,RX/TX of card,distance with AP,obstacles and most imp. no interference should be with same Spread spectrum devices like microwave Owen etc

If there are a lot of other networks using channels 11 and 6, you can change to channel 1. There are 3 non-overlapping channels available in the 802.11 spectrum, channels 1, 6 & 11 (assuming you are in the U.S.).

Quote Originally Posted by cybrsnpr View Post
    If there are a lot of other networks using channels 11 and 6, you can change to channel 1. There are 3 non-overlapping channels available in the 802.11 spectrum, channels 1, 6 & 11 (assuming you are in the U.S.).
    Those three channels don't overlap in any country. Now the ability to use the channels, that's a whole different story.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Those three channels don't overlap in any country. Now the ability to use the channels, that's a whole different story.
    Sorry bout that! Crappy sentence structure on my part. I was alluding to the fact that if he was not in the U.S. then channels 12-13 and possibly 14 would be available for him as well. But since his congestion is on channel 11, that wouldn't have helped either. I should have just left that part out.

Quote Originally Posted by cybrsnpr View Post
    Sorry bout that! Crappy sentence structure on my part. I was alluding to the fact that if he was not in the U.S. then channels 12-13 and possibly 14 would be available for him as well. But since his congestion is on channel 11, that wouldn't have helped either. I should have just left that part out.
    It's okay, I was just being a smart ass anyway.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    It's okay, I was just being a smart ass anyway.
    Which is pretty normal for you.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

thanks guys. i just wasnt sure if there would be interfierance with so many networks bein on the same channel in a small area. oh by the way im in the uk.