Thread: Help with special characters in aircrack/cowpatty

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default [SOLVED] Help with special characters in aircrack/cowpatty

Hey,

I've been stumped by this problem for a while.
    When using aircrack or cowpatty, they can't seem to read my dictionary files correctly as I have special characters in it " !$)^ "
    Aircrack will just say the password is not in the file, and cowpatty returns an error about an unexpected token " ') "

I've read, and re-read, this article on special characters
    aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=faq#how_to_use_spaces_double_quote_and _single_quote_etc._in_ap_names
    but I am still confused.

Thanks

It seems learning about escape characters is a must
    To sum it up briefly:

Before any special character (which includes a white space), insert a backslash " \ ".
    ie.
    £2*"s*!
    would become: \£2\*\"s\*\!
    Last edited by kYd420; 06-11-2011 at 12:46 AM.

Just burned his ISO

No takers on this one. Still havn't found a solution to this, google hasn't really helped that much.

Think about what you just wrote for a minute...

If I understand you correctly, you wish to know how cowpatty/aircrack can recover a WPA passphrase that has special characters. Correct?

You also state that your error message is "the password is not in the file". Correct?

I believe you have answered your own question. The passphrase is NOT in your dictionary file, therefore the tools you are using cannot find it.

Solution: Put your passphrase into the dictionary you are using and try again.

Other stuff:

Special Characters: The link and wiki you referred to in your posts concerns Access Point SSID's not passphrases. Passphrases are what they are.

Your WPA Passphrase: Due to it's complexity, is probably unrecoverable by normal WPA cracking methods (unless you specifically put it in a dictionary file).

Good Luck...

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by cybrsnpr View Post

Solution: Put your passphrase into the dictionary you are using and try again.
    Hey thanks for the reply.

That's what I had done originally. I had two password lists; one with just my WPA passphrase in it, and another with around 20,000 passwords including mine in there aswell.

Both returned "not found"; however with the 20,000 password lists; if I dont put my password in it you can see it working away at each pass for a few minutes trying to find the password, as soon as I put my pass in the list it straight away says the pass hasn't been found with out trying any. Seems as the symbols are messing it up some how...hmmm

Oh well no worries I suppose, If I'm having this problem then any hackers attacking my network will, more than likely, have aswell

Okay, I see what you are saying. I've never come across this problem myself and not sure if this will fix it, but give it a try:

\!\!56the\!\$)%^?? (escaping individual characters)
    '!!56the!$)%^??' (single quote escape of the phrase)
    "!!56the!$)%^??" (double quote escape of the phrase)

Try all three in a dictionary and see if any of them work.

Good Luck...