Thread: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device

Just burned his ISO

Default ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device

Right, another noob here.
    First of all, I managed to crack WEP with this same card on BackTrack 2. Now I just updated Backtrack to version 3 Final, and I can't crack WEP anymore.. Very odd !

Now, whenever I try to crack wep using BackTrack 3 final, I do the following:

bt ~: airmon-ng stop ath0
    bt ~: ifconfig ath0
    BASH: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device

I googled and found something in the aircrack-ng wiki about installing drivers (Madwifi-Drivers in my case), but I'm wondering if this is neccesary at all in my case ? Because I'm able to connect to the internet using the Wireless Assistant without problems (which means the card is recognized, right ?)...

Anyway, neccesary or not, I tried installing them using the following tutorial: I untarred the madwifi drivers and went to the folder and typed make. I got the error which is listed on top of the page:
    /lib/modules/2.6.24-19-server/build is missing, please set KERNELPATH.

I tried fixing it with the command give as solution to this problem:
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r)

But that didn't work either. I got a bash error, command not found...
    Now Im totally stuck.. bit frustrated, don't understand why I just could plugin my card in BT2 and start cracking but in BT3 I need to install drivers and such...

My card is a TP-Link TL-WN610G based on an Atheros chipset. I'm running Backtrack 3 Final

Thanks in advance !

do you even know, which device is your wlan?

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for your reply !

ath0 is my wlan device so that should be okay..

Just burned his ISO

Update:

It worked out. It appears that my driver's card (madwifi-ng) isn't compatible with the method used in all tutorials on youtube (sucky sucky I know ).
    Therefore I need to run a script instead of typing --macchanger etc.

For future references: The script can be found here: hxxp://www .aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=faq&s=macchanger (scroll down, script 2 written by audax.)

How to use can be found here: hxxp://www .ax697.org/writing-a-basic-ubu...00786.html]

Thanks for the support !