Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: what language is a good starter to learn?

Very good friend of the forum hhmatt's Avatar

C/C++

Quote Originally Posted by KMDave View Post
    No matter what you learn, stick to it and get to known to it by heart.
    I really recommend this and C/C++ together because C can easily be written on most operating systems and I believe once you learn this well you will be able to make the transition into almost any other language with slight syntax changes. Java would probably be the closest to C, hence making it the easiest to learn next.

You must realize you are asking a very vague question hence the variety of answers you have recieved. Heres a few questions that might help clarify some things.

What operating systems are you planning to use your programs on?
    How well do you understand the operating system?
    What type of programs will you be writing?
    Do you want to implement a GUI?

Start with C/C++ class of the languages.

Java/Ruby are (in my opinion, easier - but it will be hard to learn more basic language after Java - since so much is hidden from you by the language).
    If I had to start over again (im not a pentester, im a programmer) I would do C/C++ and perl at the same time (perl just for fun -when you need a brake from C).

C/C++ are close to the source (source = less of abstraction layer) enough to actually learn about sockets and pointers, memory allocation etc. After that all others are easy (opinion again).

Sin-cerely,
    Trol

Very good friend of the forum killadaninja's Avatar

I was involved in this discussion before, the conclusion was c c++, think of building a house, what would be the most valuable thing to learn first, how to install windows? how to patch roofs? how to build a wall? all of these are valuble but you need to know how to design the house first
    Sometimes I try to fit a 16-character string into an 8–byte space, on purpose.

I'm going with English too.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Smile Re:

I'd say do some pseudocode first, just to get your procedural thinking( if you've never programmed before) going and then move on to C .Learn HTML , batch and vb ( I agree with others).
    If you ever want to go for the BT classes, learn batch scripting before you start taking the class ( maybe up to advanced level, to understand the language), it will be useful during the course! Other then that, practice practice. Most of the code is copy and paste anyways, but to understand it and modify it accordingly for your needs, is a different story!

This is a journey,a great one, the destination should be the last thing on your mind!

Good luck!

Just burned his ISO

thanks for all the posts guys, the question was vague for a reason and i got what i was looking for...
    1st im gonna learn English
    2nd C/C++
    3rd Perl

OR im gonna try my harderst at it anyways

Quote Originally Posted by CableTech View Post
    thanks for all the posts guys, the question was vague for a reason and i got what i was looking for...
    1st im gonna learn English
    2nd C/C++
    3rd Perl

OR im gonna try my harderst at it anyways
    A very good choice you have there
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

C and C++ have the most 3rd party libraries, the most compilers, the most everything. Plus there's loads of cross-platform libraries available, meaning you can write a program once and compile it without change for all sorts of different computers.

As regards C versus C++, well C++ is a superset of C, meaning that C++ is C with some more features added (stuff like classes, templates). The only reason to use C is if you can't get your hands on a good C++ compiler for your target platform (which happens to be the case for microcontroller programming). Or, if you're doing cross-platform programming, C is preferable because it's more portable. If a particular machine has only one kind of compiler, it's 95% sure to be a C compiler.

I use C and C++, and I've never wanted for any other programming language. As regards which one to learn first... well I really don't know. I myself started with C++ and then ended up doing C programming... but you can do it the other way around.
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

JMC31337

Default Language to Learn?? 1st??

want english style programming then go RUBY

want over your freakin head one step above 1's and 0's go x86

want every corp. hire use c and C++ then JAva then html

viz basic is ok...
    original macintosh 2e's used basic for the most part and i am talkin 10 print yo yo 20 goto 10

its your flavor my friends what ever eye candy you choose each has its own flaws and falls

Just burned his ISO

Learn C -language, Python, ruby
    It's a good choice for security ppl

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast