Thread: Bt3 type boot option

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Bt3 type boot option

I just successfuly installed bt3 dual boot using the usb version, but when I used to boot the USB I would get a screen where I could pick which type of bt3 I wanted to run (KDE or a few other options). I dont get that screen anymore now that its installed on my hard drive. How can I reach that menu? The only way I can get into bt3 right now is by typing "startx"

Thanks

You should use another initlevel then.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

I think he means the boot screen options...
    At least the way I'm installing (using bootinst.sh) I always get this screen.
    There is a howto on the wiki, as well as on the forums how it's done.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkFuds View Post
    I just successfuly installed bt3 dual boot using the usb version, but when I used to boot the USB I would get a screen where I could pick which type of bt3 I wanted to run (KDE or a few other options). I dont get that screen anymore now that its installed on my hard drive. How can I reach that menu? The only way I can get into bt3 right now is by typing "startx"

Thanks
    Those are live USB/CD version options like kde vesa mode,compiz-fusion,persistent mode etc.after installing bt3 on HDD you won't get those menu options as its booting from LILO/GRUB Boot Loader now.

Default Similiar

Ok, I am confused a little bit. I always wonder about it. I have a dual boot machine myself. When I first start up I have the options between Xp and BT3.lilo. I choose BT, then I log in as root and use the default password.Then use startx...now is this a complete install of Backtrack? If not, can do a complete install, on the dual boot?

Quote Originally Posted by kiloraw View Post
    Ok, I am confused a little bit. I always wonder about it. I have a dual boot machine myself. When I first start up I have the options between Xp and BT3.lilo. I choose BT, then I log in as root and use the default password.Then use startx...now is this a complete install of Backtrack? If not, can do a complete install, on the dual boot?
    You have done it already.dual booting with Win OS.just change the default password and start working on it..

Whether you are running a live or real installation will depend entirely on how you installed the OS. Most likely it is a real installation, but as secure_it points out it is regardless a complete installation and you are good to go.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

As far as I am aware it is. When I did my experiments with a full HDU install I adapted the isolinux boot stanzas to grub. Naturally some of the options will have no meaning for a HDU install, persistance etc. but I got it to boot straight into the desktop without too much difficulty. I had more trouble getting persistance to work in a 'Live System' from HDU, ie. can't put the data on the same partition, can't put the data on a NTFS partition, etc.
    First Rule of Holes: When you're in one - Stop Digging!

Just burned his ISO

There is no command I can run instead of "startx" to get that menu? or anyother command to doot in the ooz

Quote Originally Posted by DarkFuds View Post
    There is no command I can run instead of "startx" to get that menu? or anyother command to doot in the ooz
    "doot in the ooz"

The menu shown when you boot from the live CD or USB is the ISOLINUX boot menu. This is displayed BEFORE BT3 starts. If you look at \boot\isolinux\isolinux.cfg you will see that each menu entry starts BT3 with different kernel options. By comparing these entries with your existing HDU boot menu you should be able to adapt them to your needs.
    First Rule of Holes: When you're in one - Stop Digging!