Thread: Router NAT Type?

Default Router NAT Type?

I have a stand-alone SIP phone (plugs direct to the router, has it's own local IP address). The STUN server I connect to says I am behind a Symmetric NAT, and Symmetric NAT's cause problems with SIP phones. However, I am not sure if the STUN server diagnosis of me having a Symmetric NAT is really correct (I think the phone may be sending the local IP address in the SIP header, and the STUN server misinterprets this).

--> Is there some way (ex: a tool in BackTrack) that I can test a router to verify it's NAT type (Symmertic, Full Cone, Restricted Port, restricted Cone)?

I looked in the GUI of my router, it offers port forwarding/triggering and static NAT, but no mention of the active NAT type.

The link budget is not a problem, we intend on splitting the bill...

Good friend of the forums

you can do what you need with NAT I got a DID to work with ipcall etc ..

Quote Originally Posted by operat0r View Post
    Whaa?

Oh, hey raiders, digging your signature.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by operat0r View Post
    Whaa?
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Whaa?
    Oh, hey raiders, digging your signature.
    Ha-ha, this post had me rolling

As far as the NAT question: I tried a few STUN servers and all said I'm behind a symmetric NAT, so "if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck...".

I found this explaining the procedure:
    http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/01au...-12/sld013.htm

I'm thinking if I could write a script that could perform this from my website? ie: I type the URL of my web-server from a browser behind my NAT and the web-server could perform this test.
    The link budget is not a problem, we intend on splitting the bill...