Default help for a beginner

Hello, I am new to all of this, and so far, I have
    (1) Installed VMWare
    (2) Downloaded bt3 final.iso and bt4 final.iso

I have a WPNT511 adapter installed, and on the official website, it states:
    Driver: N/A *Windows only: ndiswrapper*
    Chipset: Airgo AGN300 True MIMO
    External Antenna: None
    Comments: No linux drivers yet. Ndiswrapper may work for normal connection but nothing else.
    Update: Linux native (alpha stage) available: Airgo MIMO Wireless Card Linux Driver | Get Airgo MIMO Wireless Card Linux Driver at SourceForge.net. This requires kernel version either 2.6.24 or wireless-git-2.6.24 package. Not recommended for beginners and not patched at all yet.

I am running windows xp, and whenever i type in airmon-ng, nothing shows up. what should i do?

Default Re: help for a beginner

Read this. Its a sticky from our FAQ forum.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

Thanks! so if i install backtrack 3 on my computer's hard drive and run it, will it be able to recognize the adapter?

We dont support BackTrack 3 here, only BackTrack 4 Final. Take note of what it says in the entry you reproduced from the old wireless HCL page - "alpha stage" Linux driver, "not recommended for beginners". You can take that to mean that getting this setup will be difficult.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

ok thanks. so if i went to the store and purchased a usb adapter, what would be your recommendations for ones that would work perfectly on VMWare and Backtrack 4 Final?

what usb adapter would you recommend for me to buy so that it will work perfectly in backtrack 4 on vmware?
    Last edited by balding_parrot; 03-13-2010 at 05:43 AM.

search these forums for suggestions. mine has been, and will be until a better one comes out, the Alfa AWUS036H
    thou shalt treat all computers as thou wouldst treat thyself, for thou art the creator of thine own problems.