Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Backtrack 3 USB on HD Partition

Quote Originally Posted by nucklearknight View Post
    Ok so I don't want to boot from a USB drive. I can do that. I want to have a small partition of my hard drive that I can boot backtrack 3 from as if it were a USB drive. I don't want it to save changes. This is because I want to be able to boot into it whenever I want and not have to worry about carrying around a flash drive or having it jut out the side.
    That is what we have been trying to explain to you. The test VM I created was partitioned as follows using the Ubuntu LiveCD.

Code:
    P1 - 5GB NTFS
    P2 - 5GB ext3
    P3 - 10GB NTFS
    I installed Windows XP into P1 first. I then booted up the ubuntu LiveCD again, installed grub to the MBR and created a minimal menu.lst containing the following:-

Code:
    default		0
    timeout		30

title		Windows XP (SP3)
    root		(hd0,0)
    savedefault
    makeactive
    chainloader	+1
    I tested this to ensure that the VM booted properly, then rebooted from the Ubuntu LiveCD and copied the contents to P2. I then added the following to menu.lst:-

Code:
    title		Ubuntu 8.04 Livesys
    root		(hd0,1)
    kernel		/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper file=/dev/sda2/preseed/ubuntu.seed
    initrd		/casper/initrd.gz
    I then booted into this 'Live System' and mounted the BT3 usb image. I use Daemon Tools to provide virtual drives which I assign to the VM when I create it. Drive V: as it happens

I copied the contents of the BT3 directory to P2 and added the following to menu.lst:-

Code:
    title		BT3 Graphics mode (KDE)
    root		(hd0,1)
    kernel		/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2 ro autoexec=xconf;kdm
    And that's it. A triple-boot VM with Windows XP, Ubuntu and BT3. The latter both being 'Live Systems'.

The boot stanzas were adapted from the isolinux versions. The actual code shown above may contain minor errors as it was recreated from my notes and not taken from the VM which no longer exists. I deleted it after I'd learned what I set to.

Quite frankly, if you really are having such difficulty adapting the guides on here then perhaps this is something you should not be doing right now. You could easily render your system unbootable or even lose the entire contents of your HDU.

UPDATE:

I've just received the following PM from a new member who has done EXACTLY what I was trying to warn the OP about

Quote Originally Posted by ironvidra
    Hi, -honeywar
    I was trying to install BT3 on usb with changes, but when I was doing "fdisk /dev/sda" I did it on my hdd computer not on the usb and now when I try tu run on my computer says "no operative sistem". I deleted my Windows Vista!
    Now I try to install the windows but says "the disk is not connected".
    Do you have any idia what can I do!?
    Thanx!
    First Rule of Holes: When you're in one - Stop Digging!

y0ush4

why there are no clean installations for HDD i saw the forums full of same threads people are eager to port it to HDD including me :-( since 2 dayz i am trying to port bt3_usb.iso to my hdd but still not have the success moreover no proper and complete instruction anywhere please somone make a tutorial or Video tutorial from the begining how to make it work with XP in dual boot

Quote Originally Posted by y0ush4 View Post
    why there are no clean installations for HDD i saw the forums full of same threads people are eager to port it to HDD including me :-( since 2 dayz i am trying to port bt3_usb.iso to my hdd but still not have the success moreover no proper and complete instruction anywhere please somone make a tutorial or Video tutorial from the begining how to make it work with XP in dual boot
    What are you talking about? There are several tutorials available on the forum on how to install BT3 to HDD. I have personally followed one and had no problems during the process. Most people who do install BT to their HDD do however aim for a real installation instead of a live one. The benefits of having a real installation is naturally that all changes/updates/additions made during one session will be persistent and you will not have to redo each of modification every time you boot into BT.

Frankly the only reason I can see for why to create a live installation on your HDD would be that you are using a netbook and the disk space you can allocate for the OS is severely limited. Nevertheless a live HDD installation should be possible using the simple steps already pointed out in this thread a few times. Don't let the fact that Phoneywar did his installation in a virtual environment throw you off, it does not matter.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

y0ush4

yes there are but no one is really pointing out clearly from XP to dual boot as a success for bt3

can you please link me if i have mistaken?

yes there are but no one is really pointing out clearly from XP to dual boot as a success for bt3

Good to hear from you that no any tutorial is pointing clearly for dual booting.I am assuming I wasted the time for making such tutorial,listen all the windows crap OS dual booting will work in same way.either vista+bt3 or xp+bt3 or 2003+bt3.follow any of tutorial.why you n00b people play with backtrack untill and unless don't know the Ins & Out of linux basics.I would like to recommend you that start playing with ubuntu or mandrake then try some hands on backtrack as its fully pro pen-tester distro.
    Spoon feed baby waiting for someone to pour milk in his mouth

Dual/triple/quadruple booting any operating systems will be a success as long as they are installed correctly and a good bootloader is used. Seriously just give the search function a shot, I think that the topic that has been covered in tutorials the most is exactly this one, how to install BT to HDD in various different configurations. I am triple booting BT3, XP and OSX on my secondary laptop so I can personally confirm for you here and now that it can be done.

Here is a link to a better search engine that the default vBulletin one:
    http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=00...%3Avpdhc1qej9k
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Quote Originally Posted by =Tron= View Post
    Don't let the fact that Phoneywar did his installation in a virtual environment throw you off, it does not matter.
    Absolutely. There is very little difference between real and virtual environments where this particular issue is concerned.

If you're new to this sort of thing or a bit unsure, I'd recommend you run through it a couple of times in a virtual environment then move on to the real machine when you're comfortable with it. It might help you avoid the same fate as the 'gentleman' who tried to avoid the new member posting rules.

Quote Originally Posted by secure_it View Post
    Spoon feed baby waiting for someone to pour milk in his mouth
    heh. Maybe the spoon is too big

Phoneywar,
    That sounds like it's what I'm looking for. I'm getting a new hard drive today for this computer so I don't mind messing with this one to try to make it work and to work out the kinks.
    I just read it through a couple of times and I finally get what your saying. I just need to copy the files to the hard drive and configure the boot loader. However I don't know how to configure the boot loader. When I boot up now, it shows the two operating systems that I have installed currently. How do I add another one and where do I point it to?

Quote Originally Posted by nucklearknight View Post
    I just need to copy the files to the hard drive and configure the boot loader.
    Yep. That's pretty much it in a nutshell. You'll find a tutorial or two in the appropriate section to help you with the details.

I really do recommend you use a virtual environment to help you work out the kinks before hand. The first one of which is you will have to replace your existing Windows boot loader with a Linux one, either lilo or grub. My personal perference is for grub but lilo works equally as well. The tutorials will help you with this as well.

Why do I have to replace the windows bootloader with a linux one? Why can't I just use the windows bootloader?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast