Thread: Recompiling a Windows graphics driver?

Default Recompiling a Windows graphics driver?

Hello, I still haven't found out a way to run BT3 (or any other linux distro) on my brand new Toshiba Satellite L305-S5907.

Basic Info:

Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T3200 @ 2.0GHz (x2)
    RAM: 4GB DDR2 600 MHz
    Wireless card: Atheros AR9281 Wireless Network adapter
    Graphics card: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
    Primary OS: Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit (yuck)

I know now basically what the issue is, and there is no solution, at least from the manufacturers, in the near future. My vBIOS doesn't like linux. And there is no vBIOS update available, and probably won't be in the near future. So, being a linux noob, I have no idea if this will actually work, or change anything.

First: Would it be possible to write a vBIOS software that would be compatable with windows, and Linux? And, if such a program was written, would it damage my computer should it have errors?

Second: Would it be possible to recompile the current drivers written for windows, so that linux would support my card?

Any input is appreciated.
    Originally Posted by pureh@te
    You may think its stupid but when you are posting online sometimes spelling, grammar and thought put into the content of your posts is the only thing people have to measure you by and to determine the level of seriousness they should give you. So with that in mind I'd say "Yes" its pretty important.

Developer

Whats the newest kernel you have tried?

Um... I didn't know their was anything new in BT3. I could redownload it, but that takes several hours, and I'm at work right not.

Aside from that, I have tried several different versions of linux (mostly slax) and none will run anything that uses a GUI. Including KDE. So if I memorized all the commands for the programs that don't use a GUI, I could have some functionality, but other than that, It's pretty much useless. Besides, there is no way I could do that... Not with the other things I have to do.
    You may think its stupid but when you are posting online sometimes spelling, grammar and thought put into the content of your posts is the only thing people have to measure you by and to determine the level of seriousness they should give you. So with that in mind I'd say "Yes" its pretty important.

You could try the latest version of Ubuntu. Any of the apps in BackTrack will run there as well, just takes a little work setting it up.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Default Hey everyone, I'm back for a little while.

Don't know how long; I FINALLY got bt3 working on my laptop graphics card wise. Solution - VMware. Works like a dream. Still having trouble using the wireless card, but working on that. I'll be going around these forums and others looking for information on the card (Atheros ar9281). So far it seems I'm not the only one. I'm thinking about making a new VM for BT4, but someone here will probably get that available for download.

Now your wireless card is fully functional you just have to google how to bridge your wireless connection in VmWare..
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.