Thread: Live-CD/HD/USB - on which it's best?

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Live-CD/HD/USB - on which it's best?

Hi,

on which medium/device BackTrack 3 will be performed at its best?

I have BackTrack 3 on a CD but i'm thinking about installing it on my harddrive.
    What's your opinion where BackTrack have to be?

G
    ST

Quote Originally Posted by Selftrack View Post
    Hi,

on which medium/device BackTrack 3 will be performed at its best?

I have BackTrack 3 on a CD but i'm thinking about installing it on my harddrive.
    What's your opinion where BackTrack have to be?

G
    ST
    Running it from either your hard drive or an USB stick will give you a much snappier OS than running it from a live CD. Depending on the speed of your HDD you might or might not notice such a big difference between a live USB and a real HDD installation. But in theory the HDD option should be the fastest.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Installing on a usb drive or hard drive will certainly increase its responsiveness. USB vs HD: it depends on the speed of the hard drive etc. I don't believe there would be a vast noticeable difference. Unless you were say writing a huge amount of data. Then a hard drive should technically be quicker. Personally I went with a real install on a hard drive.

Just burned his ISO

In my opinion a USB stick is the best chose, cause you can write on it, update the system/kernerl, installing new software and so on.

My biggest apprehension is, that if i install backtrack on my harddrive, the mbr will be destroyed, or is my point of view wrong?

The situation is following:
    I have a new notebook with windows vista , but i will run a linux distribution (backtrack and maybe something else) too.
    But it feels to me dangerous if i install linux an the new notebook isn't new more, you know

Thank you very much for supporting me