Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nvidia GPU more powerful to crack ?

Just burned his ISO

Question Nvidia GPU more powerful to crack ?

Hi all;

More and more, you can hear about projects using GPU (especially those from nvidia) to process massive computing:
    - MIT supercalculator
    - french GENCI supercalculator
    and in particular
    - password cracking (Elcomsoft company even put a patent).

Can you tell me why GPU are so interesting compared to dual/quad core CPU ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by evilangel View Post
    Hi all;

More and more, you can hear about projects using GPU (especially those from nvidia) to process massive computing:
    - MIT supercalculator
    - french GENCI supercalculator
    and in particular
    - password cracking (Elcomsoft company even put a patent).

Can you tell me why GPU are so interesting compared to dual/quad core CPU ?

Thanks
    Because GPU's are made to do one thing really really fast, move numbers.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

Nvidia GPU is good for processing performance, but cracking passwords:
    I have nvidia geforce 8400m gs and intel core 2 duo T9300 2.5ghz

Cowpatty : 108 passphrases/second
    Aircrack: 450 passphrases/second
    Pyrit [cuda] : 560 passphrases/second
    Aircrack with sse2 support 1300 passphrases/second !!!

So, I think, using nvidia cores is good for converting videos, but for bruteforcing/wordlist attack is better to use supported sse2 application [like aircrack sse2 rc1 r1307]

EDIT: I have poor graphic card in my laptop, but if somebody have for example gtx 260/280/upcoming 295, cuda will be good choice to use. Then passphrases/second could be 11 000!!! look for pyrit benchmark on internet

I wonder what my 3Ghz octo-core Powermac would do....
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Crap, cowpatty will only use one core....

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by maskov1 View Post
    Nvidia GPU is good for processing performance, but cracking passwords:
    I have nvidia geforce 8400m gs and intel core 2 duo T9300 2.5ghz

Cowpatty : 108 passphrases/second
    Aircrack: 450 passphrases/second
    Pyrit [cuda] : 560 passphrases/second
    Aircrack with sse2 support 1300 passphrases/second !!!

So, I think, using nvidia cores is good for converting videos, but for bruteforcing/wordlist attack is better to use supported sse2 application [like aircrack sse2 rc1 r1307]

EDIT: I have poor graphic card in my laptop, but if somebody have for example gtx 260/280/upcoming 295, cuda will be good choice to use. Then passphrases/second could be 11 000!!! look for pyrit benchmark on internet
    Until now all Elcom had was the distributed password recovery app which only had the option to brute force the key. Just went looking today and found a new version purely for cracking wireless. This one allows for GPU acceleration on dictionary attacks with mutations... Now if they start including leet speak into the mutation capabilities then that will really be a force to be reckoned with.

That isn't to say that regular large dictionary attacks wouldn't be just as effective, just that the sheer increase of speed and ability to let the program do the mutations just makes it that much more powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukelear View Post
    Until now all Elcom had was the distributed password recovery app which only had the option to brute force the key. Just went looking today and found a new version purely for cracking wireless. This one allows for GPU acceleration on dictionary attacks with mutations... Now if they start including leet speak into the mutation capabilities then that will really be a force to be reckoned with.

That isn't to say that regular large dictionary attacks wouldn't be just as effective, just that the sheer increase of speed and ability to let the program do the mutations just makes it that much more powerful.
    It will still take years to crack a 64 character random password.

It will still take years to crack a 64 character random password.
    More like centuries:

http://lastbit.com/pswcalc.asp

I just got a 295 GTX, I'll post some bruteforce speed tests when I get a chance.

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

Not years, not centuries, not even millennia.

Here's the amount of years it will take:

52743025210740992321978539887526952952637756870367 24614049230593690453534299795811242618391034619347 5345

which is a pretty long time considering the universe is somewhere between 15 billion and 20 billion years old.

Here's that time-analysis thread again:

http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=17890

The only hope of cracking WPA is if you know that the passphrase is only a few characters long. If it's a long passphrase though, our sun will have gone supernova and swallowed the Earth before you ever come close to bruteforcing it.
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

Quote Originally Posted by Zermelo View Post
    I just got a 295 GTX, I'll post some bruteforce speed tests when I get a chance.
    Good discussion going on here.

Has anybody posted a quick tutorial on loading up a BT3 Final system with pyrit? Yes, I have searched and google'd and examined the google code page, but as of yet have no clear go-forward path for this.

My Thanks in advance for your help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast