Thread: I really need help! :(

Just burned his ISO

Default I really need help! :(

Hi everyone!

im quite a noob to linux, so pls dont be to hard on me!
    I really have had a hard time trying to get BT3 going on an external usb HDD. i Know, many of you will say: try to google... i did... seems to me that i know about every article that contains the word backtrack that has ever been listed in google .. i read all the HOWTO's on the RE wiki and pureh@te's tutorial etc... but nothing worked. let me explain: i got BT3 workin on a USB Stick perfectly but as i would like to keep changes and the stick is only like 1GB i thought i just install it on my external HDD but then the chaos began.. first thing i thought was: lets try it just the way i got my usb stick to work.. but bt3 didnt even considered booting.. so i googled and found out it wasnt that easy.. so i read all the manuals etc. and tried everything.. command line install, then the bt3 on hdd with changes HOWTO and many other things..
    but everytime BT3 was trying to boot but it got stuck with the message: BT3 data not found, this should never happen, blabla and it told me to put the BT3 folder in C:\BT3 which i think is pretty stupid since the bt3 folder was on the usb HDD in the fat32 partition sda1 .. well this happened all the time, it didnt matter which kind of installation i tried. when i tried the command line method, lilo worked, i could select BT3 ( i was so happy in that moment when it worked) but then got stuck at the same error message...
    then i tried to boot my LiveCD and even that didnt work (I tried to install everything from my bootable USB penstick before) well even the liveCD wasnt working, it booted but then when it was almost done it said: "kernel panic: not syncing "and something with "Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(blabla)" well i really dont know what to do... please someone help me!!

i mean i wouldnt do all that if i could do a kernel update on my BT3 USB stick version but that didnt work ( i tried to install the RTL8187B driver since i only have a USB Wifi dongle with that driver.... i know, dont say anything.. hehe) but the driver that i installed somehow didnt work either so i wanted to do the mentioned kernel update... und that didnt work.. so well i started all this installing to the usb HDD crap hehe !
    well i hope i'm not posting into the the wrong forum.. i somehow am not allowed to post into the BT3 final forum...

well thank you anyone for help!

Dr_Doom

You really need to read the forum rules you agreed to abide by when signing up.

http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=7946

Use sensible descriptive titles in your posts - not titles such as "Please Help!!" or "Need Assistance" or "what Am I Doing Wrong?" etc

Download the USB image.
    Burn it to a CD or mount it.
    Copy the files to a blank USB.
    Open the "Boot" folder and run the "bootinst" file.
    That's it, your done.

Just burned his ISO

damn, im sorry ! parrot ! it wont ever happen again, i promise!

and thx for the answer nuclearnight, but as i wrote, i have a bootable USB stick version.... im just trying everything to get bt3 to work on an external HDD(which is connected by usb ) sorry if u got me wrong..

greets,

Dr_Doom