Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Interested in "trying out your skills"? Read this first

Default Interested in "trying out your skills"? Read this first

I know how tempting it can be to take your newly-honed skills and try them out in the wild. But before you do, you might want to read up on what happens to those who get caught, here:

http://www.cybercrime.gov/

Quote Originally Posted by bulgin View Post
    I know how tempting it can be to take your newly-honed skills and try them out in the wild. But before you do, you might want to read up on what happens to those who get caught, here:

http://www.cybercrime.gov/

Really?

WOW! That's Heavy Man!
    [/sarcasm]

Seriously bulgin, the sort of people who would take any notice already know better than to try out their 'new uber l33t skilz' in that way.

Others either don't care or are convinced they won't get caught. In either case they cannot legitimately claim they didn't know it was an offence. Not with the amount of publicity 'CyberCrime' has received over the past couple of years.
    First Rule of Holes: When you're in one - Stop Digging!

Quote Originally Posted by Phoneywar View Post
    Really?

WOW! That's Heavy Man!
    [/sarcasm]

Seriously bulgin, the sort of people who would take any notice already know better than to try out their 'new uber l33t skilz' in that way.

Others either don't care or are convinced they won't get caught. In either case they cannot legitimately claim they didn't know it was an offence. Not with the amount of publicity 'CyberCrime' has received over the past couple of years.
    Your hostility is unwarranted. I saw absolutely nothing wrong with his post. In fact, I respect the fact that he was trying to educate and deter people from doing just what your signature describes....

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowKill View Post
    Your hostility is unwarranted. I saw absolutely nothing wrong with his post. In fact, I respect the fact that he was trying to educate and deter people from doing just what your signature describes....
    I agree completely and I think posts with references to what happens when innocent "hacking" goes horribly wrong should be plastered all over the forums. I'm reading a book right now on web application security where one of the authors lost his job for doing some of his book research in the wild because his test lab did not have the set up to get the results he wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    I agree completely and I think posts with references to what happens when innocent "hacking" goes horribly wrong should be plastered all over the forums. I'm reading a book right now on web application security where one of the authors lost his job for doing some of his book research in the wild because his test lab did not have the set up to get the results he wanted.
    Which book is it pureh@te?
    Don't eat yellow snow :rolleyes:

One of my favorite sites. If you don't know the law and are not up on current case's, how can you be effective at anything ITSec?
    <EeePc 1000HA BT4/W7 USB boot Alfa500 GPS BlueTooth>

I apologize if I offended anyone but the mainstream media tends to sensationalize the cyber hacker in films, books, etc. It's important -- at least I do feel this way -- that people have a real sense as to what can happen to them when they play with fire.

Just my two cents.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by bulgin View Post
    I apologize if I offended anyone but the mainstream media tends to sensationalize the cyber hacker in films, books, etc. It's important -- at least I do feel this way -- that people have a real sense as to what can happen to them when they play with fire.

Just my two cents.
    I think the majority of the people know what you intended and appreciate it. I've actually read through that page a couple years ago. The media only sensationalizes the big stories of course, but most people don't know how many get arrested and charged with computer crimes every year. Most arrests and prosecutions never get a single paragraph from the media.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

True. Anyway, I didn't mean to scare anyone away from pentesting and cracking the software for vuln., just throwing out the idea.

Sorry about the late reply.

It wasn't my intention to offend anyone either and I cannot understand why anyone would interpret sarcasm as 'hostile' - unless it's another one of those UK/US language barrier things

The point I was trying to make is that he is wasting his time trying to educate the sort of noobs who visit places like this for information on how to crack their neighbour's wireless connection. They're going to try it anyway regardless of the possible consequences and as Pureh@ate pointed out this isn't limited to just noobs either, even people who damn well know better do it.

You would not believe the number of times I've heard variations on the 'But we weren't hurting anyone/anything/etc' excuse. I believe the proper American phrase is 'No Harm, No Foul' which is complete nonsense when it comes to the law.
    First Rule of Holes: When you're in one - Stop Digging!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast