Thread: How to use Wlan in VMware?

Just burned his ISO

Default How to use Wlan in VMware?

Hey Community,

i'm quite new to the hole Backtrack-Stuff, but i am a 34 Year old Network Admin and i search for something that will challenge me. So i'm gonna to make this Offensive Security Certificate. I'm already CCNA and MCSA but that's quite boring, so i searched for something interesting

First of all i tried to install Backtrack to VirtualPc, but that was not possible. Then i found the VMware Image on the Homepage and downloaded it. First i tried it with VMplayer but there i weren't able to change the networksettings, so that Backtrack uses my IPW3945.
    Then i downloaded VMware Server. Again i have the problem that i cant use my wireless device in Backtrack.

Can you maybe tell me what the problem is? or how i can use my wireless device: Intel Pro Wireless 3945

thx in advance and sorry for the quite bad english

Only USB connectable wireless cards will be recognized in VMware as wireless devices and used in monitor mode and for injecting packets. You can use an internal card to connect to the internet, but only by bridging the connection to the host OS, which means that VMware will believe that it as an ethernet card instead of a wireless one.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for your Answer.

I now choose to install Backtrack on a Usbstick and i'm finally online with Backtrack

is it possible to install it on a USB-HDD? I only found Tutorials for USB-Sticks, but there should be no difference?
    I will now search a way to install it, like you were able to do it with Backtrack2.

greetz

Quote Originally Posted by InselMan View Post
    Thanks for your Answer.

I now choose to install Backtrack on a Usbstick and i'm finally online with Backtrack

is it possible to install it on a USB-HDD? I only found Tutorials for USB-Sticks, but there should be no difference?
    I will now search a way to install it, like you were able to do it with Backtrack2.

greetz
    There are several dozen how-to's on this forum for installing to usb. It doesn't matter if it's a stick or drive.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69