Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wireless Assistant does not detect networks...

Just burned his ISO

Default Wireless Assistant does not detect networks...

Have a netgear ma401 card...
    command #modprobe hostap_cs for it to detect my card
    Kismet and Air Suite detects network, but Aireplay does not inject...and strangely wireless assistant does not detect...

Do I have the wrong drivers? or do I need to update to a better driver? Hostap site also have hostapd and wap_supplicant to d/l which I do not completely understand the use for it. Please help this total noob.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by llvllonk View Post
    Have a netgear ma401 card...
    command #modprobe hostap_cs for it to detect my card
    Kismet and Air Suite detects network, but Aireplay does not inject...and strangely wireless assistant does not detect...

Do I have the wrong drivers? or do I need to update to a better driver? Hostap site also have hostapd and wap_supplicant to d/l which I do not completely understand the use for it. Please help this total noob.
    I'm sure that before you started this thread you searched first and saw that everyone recommends that you don't use wlan assistant, and I'm sure that you just forgot about it when you posted this.

Right? Because you surely didn't go and start a thread about something that's been mentioned dozens of times.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Just burned his ISO

You are definitely right....Before I made this thread, I been searching all over the threads with ppl with similar problems... Actually my main concern was Aireplay injections....which made me thought the driver needs update which made me kinda think that assistant didn't work...So in conclusion I thought by fixing that assistant it will help somehow.

I searched the threads for drivers for MA401. Similar Injection issues (which I made post in those threads. I've been searching for the last 3 days since I am a total newbie to linux and BT3. From those search, I was able to install BT3 to my hard-drive single boot, detect my old wireless card (but some issues), vmware installation, etc....maybe I'm just a retard, but I did not see one post mentioning about wlan assistant not working (not in the subjects for sure like mine)...i did however see set ups through command lines, but that's not my goal.

Anyways, sorry if it was too much of trouble....I am new; hence the post #. Thanks for the clarification about wlan assistant though....now I need to figure out how to update my drivers. Please do tell me if you know. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by llvllonk View Post
    You are definitely right....Before I made this thread, I been searching all over the threads with ppl with similar problems... Actually my main concern was Aireplay injections....which made me thought the driver needs update which made me kinda think that assistant didn't work...So in conclusion I thought by fixing that assistant it will help somehow.

I searched the threads for drivers for MA401. Similar Injection issues (which I made post in those threads. I've been searching for the last 3 days since I am a total newbie to linux and BT3. From those search, I was able to install BT3 to my hard-drive single boot, detect my old wireless card (but some issues), vmware installation, etc....maybe I'm just a retard, but I did not see one post mentioning about wlan assistant not working (not in the subjects for sure like mine)...i did however see set ups through command lines, but that's not my goal.

Anyways, sorry if it was too much of trouble....I am new; hence the post #. Thanks for the clarification about wlan assistant though....now I need to figure out how to update my drivers. Please do tell me if you know. Thanks!
    A) If you're that new, you should learn Linux on an easier distro. BT3 is an advanced distro designed for advanced users who will be conducting pen tests. My advice is not try BT3 unless you have at least 2 years of *nix under your belt, and are a pen tester (or a planning on it as a career). If you don't have the *nix experience and the knowledge to use most of the pen test tools, you're trying to compete in the Tour de France when you still have training wheels on your bike.

B) The WLAN Assistant is known to be broken. Period. If you want to connect to a wireless network, you're going to have to use the command line.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    B) The WLAN Assistant is known to be broken. Period. If you want to connect to a wireless network, you're going to have to use the command line.
    You know what's weird about this, I know wA is "broken", but I have never had a single issue with it. Ever.

I still connect via shell but that's not my point at all, it is that wA works for me without issue and it's quite odd.

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowKill View Post
    You know what's weird about this, I know wA is "broken", but I have never had a single issue with it. Ever.

I still connect via shell but that's not my point at all, it is that wA works for me without issue and it's quite odd.
    That is odd. You're the only one that I recall ever seeing that's said that.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Just burned his ISO

lol...thanks Thorn for that funny comparison! And thanks for the tips. I agree with you. But I have to start somewhere somehow to get those years of experience. In the beginning I was interested in FreeBSD to start a webpage server or something....then I don't know how I read into BT3 and notice all the d/ls....the moment it was loaded, I was in love with the gui...got me interested as a pen tester. So I figure I'll get my experience with this OS.

I already apologize already for not noticing the wlan assistant issue. Sorry for my bad English as well....my goal is to really fix my wireless card for injections; it seems that I need to update the driver, but having issues with it (that's mentioned in another thread that someone else made).

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    That is odd. You're the only one that I recall ever seeing that's said that.
    Not to add fuel to a fire, but I've found the wireless assistant GUI in BT3 to be much more stable when connecting to AP's using WPA than wpa_supplicant via command line. Got no idea why. At least this is my experience (and that of my students).

BTW, I hate GUI, so I wouldn't say this unless there was a significant difference!

Just burned his ISO

so it works for some and not for others...

No fire...we are all mature enough to not flame at others...we're discussing for better testing and research!

At least this noob, me, made a thread that's easier for others to search and discuss about this topic...I don't feel too bad now O.o

Quote Originally Posted by cybrsnpr View Post
    Not to add fuel to a fire, but I've found the wireless assistant GUI in BT3 to be much more stable when connecting to AP's using WPA than wpa_supplicant via command line. Got no idea why. At least this is my experience (and that of my students).

BTW, I hate GUI, so I wouldn't say this unless there was a significant difference!
    That sounds curious indeed, since I am rather sure that the wireless assistant utilizes wpa_supplicant to connect to WPA encrypted WAPs.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast