Thread: BT3 on Samsung NC10 Fix

Hybrid View

Default BT3 on Samsung NC10 Fix

Hey guys, I've been working on installing BT3 to my Samsung NC10 lately and I've had a few problems.

Problems I've ran across...
    1. X doesn't start
    2. Unable to put built in wireless card into monitor mode
    3. Unable to use wired NIC.

Fortunately, I've found a solution to all of these.

1+2.) After a little searching I found this website which has a module for fixing an EEEPC issue but that same module fixes the X server and wireless card problems. I've put a mirror of the module here or you can download it from the above site. I only had the X server error when using my hdd install, so lzm2dir that module in / and reboot. If you're on a usb install, just put the module in your modules folder. I hope this is all self explanatory to you. Also, change your vga boot parameter to "vga=785".

3.) This is simply a case of installing the correct driver. A quick search on Google turned up a driver for the NC10's wired NIC (Marvell 88E8040) straight from the manufactor along with an install script that worked beautifully. I was expecting a long and frustrating process, but finding this just made my day. Anyway, download the driver (or download it from thier site ... I like having multiple mirrors.) extract it and run the install.sh file. Follow the instructions (I deleted the existing driver when given the option), reboot and you should be good to go.

If I run across more problems with the NC10 and BT3 I'll post them here when I find solutions.

Edit: I'm working on installing Compiz now and while it's working properly, (I had to change kernel versions to get it working) it is VERY slow and freezes often. I guess that's what happens when you try to run it on an Atom processor but I have 2gb of ram in the mail now and I'm hoping that makes it run better.

Credit: It looks like that module came from this thread. Kudos.

Just burned his ISO

Default Solved

Thanks, that solved me problem.

One question: do you know if you are able to boot from the internal (built in) memory card reader instead of using a separate USB device. The netbook does not seem to even bother looking at the built in reader, and there is not option within the BIOS to do so.

Edit:
    It is not possible to do so on this model, and most other models today (2011).
    This is a BIOS limitation. The built in reader is a PCI device, and so is not initialised until the kernel is loaded and loads the USB modules.
    Last edited by kYd420; 06-11-2011 at 12:40 AM. Reason: Solved

I've never tried booting from an sd card so I can't tell you definitively if it's possible or not but I remember there being an option in the BIOS to boot from one. Maybe your BIOS isn't configured correctly? Or try pressing escape and use the boot menu and try to boot from there.

Quote Originally Posted by ESC201 View Post
    Hey guys, I've been working on installing BT3 to my Samsung NC10 lately and I've had a few problems.

Problems I've ran across...
    1. X doesn't start
    2. Unable to put built in wireless card into monitor mode
    3. Unable to use wired NIC.

Fortunately, I've found a solution to all of these.....
    Thanks for these three tips. NUmber three helped me out particularly.

I would be interested to learn your experiences with COMPIZ on the nc10.

I have never seen compiz in action, because up until i bought the nc10; my backtrack installation was on VMWARE. Hence I could never get it working properly.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by mcai8rw2 View Post
    Thanks for these three tips. NUmber three helped me out particularly.

I would be interested to learn your experiences with COMPIZ on the nc10.

I have never seen compiz in action, because up until i bought the nc10; my backtrack installation was on VMWARE. Hence I could never get it working properly.

Thanks again.
    I've upgraded my NC10 to two gigs of ram and Compiz still runs horribly on it. It really isn't usable at all. But if you want to try it for yourself, you'll need to upgrade the BT3 kernel which involves just copying in a new upgraded one into your /boot folder. I used the one from Slax 6.0.7. (2.6.24.5) Then I think you'll have to edit your xorg.conf file to contain the composite and argbglxvisuals options along with a depth of 24. (Look around, those have been posted here many times.) Lastly, run the command...
    Code:
    LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=true compiz --replace ccp && emerald &
    and then in the Kmenu, run the program Compiz-Fusion Icon. That should get it all up and running but it does not work very well at all for me.

Ironically enough, I dual boot my NC10 with Fedora 10 with Compiz, and with the exception of a few plugins, it works beautifully.

Just burned his ISO

Hey ESC wonder if you can help me a little.

After a few days head bashing I've finally installed BT to a USB with changes.
    I'm trying to install the driver for the wired NIC (step 3) but during the installation of the driver I get a failed error saying:

"Check kernel header versiongrep: /usr/src/linux-2.6.21.5/include/linux/version.h:
    no such file or directory"
    compile the-kernel error [failed]

I've searched around Google/BT but am unsure as to how to fix this? Does this mean I need to download the kernel sources?

Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kYd420 View Post
    Hey ESC wonder if you can help me a little.

After a few days head bashing I've finally installed BT to a USB with changes.
    I'm trying to install the driver for the wired NIC (step 3) but during the installation of the driver I get a failed error saying:

"Check kernel header versiongrep: /usr/src/linux-2.6.21.5/include/linux/version.h:
    no such file or directory"
    compile the-kernel error [failed]

I've searched around Google/BT but am unsure as to how to fix this? Does this mean I need to download the kernel sources?

Thanks!!!
    Well, does that file actually exist? If not, you will need the kernel devel. Did you install the Live CD or the USB version of BT3 to your usb drive? I believe that the Live CD version doesn't have the kernel devel in it. An easy way to do this is to burn the USB version to a cd and boot from it then copy the folder /usr/src/linux-2.6.21.5 onto your usb drive and then boot from it and move the directory you just copied into the correct place. (/usr/src/linux-2.6.21.5) Also, there will be some symbolic links you will need to make. Link /usr/src/linux to /usr/src/linux-2.6.21.5 and /lib/modules/2.6.21.5/build and /lib/modules/2.6.21.5/source to /usr/src/linux-2.6.21.5/

Hopefully, that will work. As a side note, I've found that compiling kernel modules on a FAT32 filesystem never works for me so if your usb stick is formatted as such, that may be a problem too.

Just burned his ISO

Just like to add that I used the wireless/graphics module and it worked perfectly for me too. Thanks a lot to ESC201 for the info.