Thread: Linksys BEFSX41 - Any Added Security?

Default Linksys BEFSX41 - Any Added Security?

I currently have a Linksys WRT54G and use WPA and an ACL for my wireless. I'm considering removing wireless from my network (as I've penetrated the WPA and been able to sniff my traffic - slightly alarming) and using this router instead.

Any opinion as to the level of security (if any) I'd be adding with this router?

Features from the whitesheet:
    -Supports Up to Two Virtual Private Network (VPV) Tunnels
    -Protects PCs from Ping of Death, SYN Flood, Land Attack, IP Spoofing, and other DoS Denial of Service) Attacks
    Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by tscott View Post
    I currently have a Linksys WRT54G and use WPA and an ACL for my wireless. I'm considering removing wireless from my network (as I've penetrated the WPA and been able to sniff my traffic - slightly alarming) and using this router instead.

Any opinion as to the level of security (if any) I'd be adding with this router?

Features from the whitesheet:

Thanks in advance.
    You won't be adding anything from the BEFSX41 that you don't have with most other routers in that class. At the firewall level, it has exactly the same firewall functions as the WRT54G, including the line about "Protects PCs from Ping of Death, SYN Flood, Land Attack, IP Spoofing, and other DoS Denial of Service) Attacks".

The VPN is nice, and very secure, but you have to actually use it for a point-to-point VPN connection for it to be worth anything. It doesn't do a damned thing for a regular connection.

Bottom line: If you have use for a VPN connection then it might be worth buying. If you don't have use for a VPN, you already have the same firewall.

As far as breaking into WPA, the cure is to use a long, random passphrase.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Thanks you just saved me $70. How would you like it -- cash, check, money order? lol

Appreciate the help!

Thanks you just saved me $70. How would you like it -- cash, check, money order? lol

Appreciate the help!
    Pshhhh! Thorn needing money?! Never....

Send it to shamanvirtuel instead

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

Appreciate the help!
    You're welcome. Small unmarked bills are always preferred.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.