Thread: help with GPSD

Hybrid View

Junior Member imported_apprentice's Avatar

Default help with GPSD

i am running BT3 final, eeepc 701, gpsd is v2.37 and gps unit is Delorme earthmate gps LT-20 USB.
    i cant get my gps to work i have searched many forums and visited and read many sites.
    still i cant get my gps to work.
    if i run lsusb i get this read out
    Bus 3 Device 3: ID 1163:0200 DeLorme Publishing, Inc.

so i know it reads the driver.
    if i run dmesg i get this read out

usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial
    drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for generic
    usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial_generic
    drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial Driver core
    drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for DeLorme Earthmate USB
    drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for HID->COM RS232 Adapter
    drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for Nokia CA-42 V2 Adapter
    cypress 3-2:1.0: DeLorme Earthmate USB converter detected
    usb 3-2: DeLorme Earthmate USB converter now attached to ttyUSB0
    usbcore: registered new interface driver cypress
    drivers/usb/serial/cypress_m8.c: Cypress USB to Serial Driver v1.09

does this mean it is successful and should work??

on one of thee sites someone has gotten thiss to work now i copy the procedure but
    it doesnt work for me
    This is what he says you need to do

Installation of the GPSD daemon.

Next we install the gpsd Daemon

This is the daemon that actually communicates with the GPS device and gets the data to be used by the computer.

But low and behold I had a major problem seems that they broke the Cypress_m8 driver with kernel 2.6.16 and it no longer works, But do not fret we here deep in the dungeons at Open-source enterprises have found the answer.

I have my kernel source installed so you may have to modify this for your needs.

vi /usr/src/linux-2.6.21.5/drivers/usb/serial/cypress_m8.c

alter line 408 to look like this.

/* cypress_set_dead(port); //fix for lt-20 */

In VI to get right to the line use the G key.

Open the file with vi cypress_m8.c

Then G{space}408 {enter} and you should go right to the line.

Then save with :wq!

CD /usr/src/linux-2.6.21.5/

Make modules

Then make modules_install to rebuild the module you modified.

Finally run ldconfig just to get all your libs in order.

Now remove your usb based GPS and plug it back in and you should be good to go.

Does this seem right???

i have installed GPSD several times if i download the svn i get a error towards the end py compile but if i installpkg GPSD 2.37.tgz no problem.

I run GPSD -F /dev/ttyUSB0 or /dev/tts/USB0
    ok
    now i type telnet localhost 2947
    type r
    r=1
    type p
    p=?
    some people say i gotta wait 10 mins for the satelites but i have waited about a hour last time.
    still nothing

if i go to dev folder and go to USB0 it is there but the file is 0B

I followed the whole tutorial
    i-hacked.com/content/view/99/42/

still no luck at the start i got gpsdrive to bring up on the left hand side start or stop GPSD now i cant.

Any help will be much appreciated.
    If someone has got a working copy of GPSD with GPSdrive as a lzm or tgz i would be grateful to download and try it.

Why are you loading a driver for the Delorme Earthmate LT-20 USB? Do you know how to properly use GPSD? The standard procedure for any NMEA compliant GPS is to simply plug the GPS into the port, and begin monitoring GPSD. No drivers are loaded for the GPS device.

You should be outside to get the satellite signals, and it may take 5-30 minutes to get a locked 3D signal depending on the date, time and your location, although typically it is under 10 minutes. If you are in a downtown urban area, you will most likely need to go to a park or other very open area. To reliably get a 3D lock, you need to see open sky at a minimum of 45 degrees above the horizon.

Note: To help the readability of future posts, use the CODE feature to define screen captured text. It will define things that you have typed in, and error messages, as opposed to the explanations of what issues you are experiencing
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

i am not to familar how to use GPSD that why im asking, every where i read implies you need to load the driver, the gps keeps flashing orange i cant get it to change to green

As for the chip going by what they say on the GPSD website
    Some newer Earthmates are SiRFstarII-based. The LT-20 uses "the ST Micro Vespucci STA2051 and the SiGe RF chip SE4100L."

so is it NMEA??

Quote Originally Posted by apprentice View Post
    i am not to familar how to use GPSD that why im asking, every where i read implies you need to load the driver, the gps keeps flashing orange i cant get it to change to green

As for the chip going by what they say on the GPSD website
    Some newer Earthmates are SiRFstarII-based. The LT-20 uses "the ST Micro Vespucci STA2051 and the SiGe RF chip SE4100L."

so is it NMEA??
    I suspect everything that you've read up on applications that talk to the GPS directly.

According to DeLorme's website, the LT-20 has a standard NMEA 0183 v2.0 output. Therefore, it is compatible with GPSD.

Understand that none of this will work without getting a 2D or 3D fix. 90% of the GPS receivers I've used don't output any NMEA Sentences until they get at least a 2D fix.

Are you sure the light isn't indicating a lack of a signal lock?
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    According to DeLorme's website, the LT-20 has a standard NMEA 0183 v2.0 output. Therefore, it is compatible with GPSD.
    There is some bug floating around the webs concerning gpsd, the LT-20 and the cypress_m8 module. It may also affect certain revisions of the earthmate LT-40 (which is how I found out about it a couple weeks ago).

Unfortunately, I can't remember the exact problem and if it affected gpsd found on the stock BT3 or the latest version of gpsd, or if it appears after upgrading the BT3 kernel to the latest 2.6.2X. (I've done all of the above this past month at various times on different boxes....damn, I really need to take better notes when I do upgrades!)

But, as you mentioned, I'm not sure he actually understands exactly what gpsd is for and what he is doing in this instance. Although, from his post, he appeared to follow the bug-fix steps properly.

thanks for all your help guys i guess i just gotta read up more

Quote Originally Posted by apprentice View Post
    I run GPSD -F /dev/ttyUSB0 or /dev/tts/USB0
    ok
    now i type telnet localhost 2947
    type r
    r=1
    type p
    p=?
    some people say i gotta wait 10 mins for the satelites but i have waited about a hour last time.
    still nothing

if i go to dev folder and go to USB0 it is there but the file is 0B

I followed the whole tutorial
    You are using the -F option but /dev/ttyUSB0 is a device file not a socket.

Try: gpsd -n /dev/ttyUSB0 (or /dev/tts/USB0) (-n specifies gpsd not to wait for a client connect before polling the device).

Then telnet to the device. You don't specify what data you see when you toggle raw mode (r). When you telnet in and toggle raw mode, give it a few minutes before querying your current position (p). Once you toggle raw mode on, you should see scrolling data of NMEA satellite positional data. If you see that, your GPS and GPSD is working. Close your connection and use whatever application you planned to.