Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Fix UCSniff 2.1 IN Post 6

  1. #1
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    7

    Question Fix UCSniff 2.1 IN Post 6

    Hello all, just made my account on the new forums. Had the same name on the old one. Anyway, I was looking to use UCSniff for some of our customer service calls. I looked into the Cisco option for call recording using CRS but our version is too old to support it. My problem is, when I try and run UCsniff, I get the error:

    UCSniff 2.1 starting
    ERROR : 2, No such file or directory
    vc_conf.c : load_conf : 247
    Cannot open etter.conf

    So I opened that file and went to line 247 and it references etter.conf in the /etc folder which is exactly where it is. So yeah, I am kind of stuck. Programming is not my strong suit. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
    Last edited by Archangel-Amael; 02-27-2010 at 01:24 PM.

  2. #2
    Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    8,012

    Default Re: UCSniff question

    Please post the exact command/s that you used. Also are you using bt4 final? If yes then how?
    Hardware specs may also help. Also is the md5sum correct from your download?
    I had no problems running ucsniff.
    Or if anyone else experiences this please report it below.

  3. #3
    My life is this forum thorin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,629

    Default Re: UCSniff question

    Have you added any users? If so are you sure the user you launched ucsniff as has access to /etc/etter.conf?

    Did you launch ucsniff from the menu or from the commandline?
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

    I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

  4. #4
    Member skinnypuppy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    Posts
    154

    Default Re: UCSniff question

    Same problem here with ./ucsniff
    Doesn't matter if it's ran from cli or menu, same error. Tried to run in learning mode (./ucsniff -i eth0 // //) and got same error as Kynov.
    Running command as root, checked file permissions of etter.conf in /etc and all is fine. No other users other than root on this system either. Un-installed and re-installed it, same error.
    I may have been born with a silver spoon in my mouth but it does not mean I like to be spoon fed.

  5. #5
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    7

    Default Re: UCSniff question

    Quote Originally Posted by Archangel.Amael View Post
    Please post the exact command/s that you used. Also are you using bt4 final? If yes then how?
    Hardware specs may also help. Also is the md5sum correct from your download?
    I had no problems running ucsniff.
    Or if anyone else experiences this please report it below.
    Fresh HDD install of bt4-final. Command used was--

    ./ucsniff -i eth0 -M

    No other users added. Hardware is an older HP compaq nx5000 laptop. Everything works fine on it (video, sound, nic, etc). md5 checks out clean.

  6. #6
    Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    8,012

    Default Fix UCSniff 2.1 IN Post 6

    I am setting up a new install of BT so once I get it finished I will take a look again to see if I encounter any problems. I will edit this post with any relevant info.

    EDIT: OK I took a detailed look into this. Seems at first glance running ucsniff it works just fine. However doing some testing on my network. I did get an error similar to yours, not the same but there was an error in regards to not being able to open a file. Like a dummy I did not copy the error output down.
    So what I did was in the /pentest/voip/ucsniff/ directory was to rerun ./configure make and make install routine.
    I then ran ucsniff again and it seems to be working now. It will be nice if someone can confirm that it works.
    I will say that there is a newer version of ucsniff on their website and it looks to be a lot better. Maybe if someone wants to make a tool request it can get added to the repo. Failing that though it is not hard to install with the .deb package .
    Last edited by Archangel-Amael; 02-27-2010 at 01:25 PM.

  7. #7
    Member skinnypuppy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    Posts
    154

    Default Re: UCSniff question

    Quote Originally Posted by Archangel.Amael View Post
    EDIT: OK I took a detailed look into this. Seems at first glance running ucsniff it works just fine. However doing some testing on my network. I did get an error similar to yours, not the same but there was an error in regards to not being able to open a file. Like a dummy I did not copy the error output down.
    So what I did was in the /pentest/voip/ucsniff/ directory was to rerun ./configure make and make install routine.
    I then ran ucsniff again and it seems to be working now. It will be nice if someone can confirm that it works.
    I will say that there is a newer version of ucsniff on their website and it looks to be a lot better. Maybe if someone wants to make a tool request it can get added to the repo. Failing that though it is not hard to install with the .deb package .
    Confirmed. I did a ./configure, make, make install and it is running fine now. Honestly don't know why I didn't even try that from the get-go as I compile most of my stuff anyway. As for the new version, I was only aware of a 9.10 .deb package on their website which won't install so compiled the new version late last night and it is not an easy task, requiring vlc-dev libs and then running into conflicts with vlc player. Once it's all ironed out though, it is a good program with a nice gui. In the process of writing something up possibly on compiling it, though I don't see much mention of it in the forums so..
    I may have been born with a silver spoon in my mouth but it does not mean I like to be spoon fed.

  8. #8
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    7

    Default Re: UCSniff question

    Quote Originally Posted by skinnypuppy View Post
    Confirmed. I did a ./configure, make, make install and it is running fine now. Honestly don't know why I didn't even try that from the get-go as I compile most of my stuff anyway. As for the new version, I was only aware of a 9.10 .deb package on their website which won't install so compiled the new version late last night and it is not an easy task, requiring vlc-dev libs and then running into conflicts with vlc player. Once it's all ironed out though, it is a good program with a nice gui. In the process of writing something up possibly on compiling it, though I don't see much mention of it in the forums so..
    I ended up just downloading the VAST live dvd to try out ucsniff 3.0 I really like it. I also had tried upgrading to 3.0 on bt4 but ran into those vlc-dev package issues. If you can add the vlc-dev libraries and ucsniff 3.0 to the repos then everything would be kosher.

  9. #9
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4

    Default Re: UCSniff question

    Quote Originally Posted by Archangel.Amael View Post
    I am setting up a new install of BT so once I get it finished I will take a look again to see if I encounter any problems. I will edit this post with any relevant info.

    EDIT: OK I took a detailed look into this. Seems at first glance running ucsniff it works just fine. However doing some testing on my network. I did get an error similar to yours, not the same but there was an error in regards to not being able to open a file. Like a dummy I did not copy the error output down.
    So what I did was in the /pentest/voip/ucsniff/ directory was to rerun ./configure make and make install routine.
    I then ran ucsniff again and it seems to be working now. It will be nice if someone can confirm that it works.
    I will say that there is a newer version of ucsniff on their website and it looks to be a lot better. Maybe if someone wants to make a tool request it can get added to the repo. Failing that though it is not hard to install with the .deb package .
    One more confirmation that your fix works! Simply did the ./configure, make, and make install and the error went away. Thanks!

  10. #10
    Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    8,012

    Default Re: UCSniff question

    Thanks to every one who confirmed the fix , and to the OP for reporting the problem.
    Since I don't really want to start another thread this one has been moved to the fixes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. wireless question
    By mbudden in forum Beginners Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-07-2010, 08:48 AM
  2. WPA Handshake Question
    By mannigill1 in forum Beginners Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-20-2010, 09:03 AM
  3. Snort Question
    By hedgehog8711 in forum Beginners Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-11-2010, 09:49 AM
  4. A simple question
    By nevermore in forum Beginners Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-07-2010, 12:05 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •