Thread: Backtrack 3 - Packet injection doesn't work

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Question Backtrack 3 - Packet injection doesn't work

Hello.
    I have problem. Everything works fine except aireplay-ng - packet injection doesn't work at all. I have Z-com XI-626, I have loaded driver succesfully (that's not automatic - I had to write modprobe hostap_pci).
    If I type the command I get this:

bt ~ # aireplay-ng -1 0 -a XX:XX:XX:XX:XX -h 00:11:22:33:44:55 -e name_of_network wlan0
    18:17:51 Waiting for beacon frame (BSSID: XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX) on channel xx

18:17:52 Sending Authentication Request (Open System)

18:17:54 Sending Authentication Request (Open System)

18:17:56 Sending Authentication Request (Open System)
    etc etc etc...

If I write this:
    bt ~ # airodump-ng -c channel -w data --bssid XX:XX:XX:XX:XX wlan0

I get last line this:
    Read 14837 packets (got 0 ARP requests and 0 ACKs), sent 0 packets...(0 pps)

I decided that injection doesn't work. It's same on secured and unsecured networks with automatic ip adressing and with no security like MAC white list etc... Please help.

AD1: My computer (for compatibility): AMD Sempron 2200+, 512Mb ram, 2*80gb hdd, radeon 9550 128mb, Z-Com XI-626 (firmware: 1.11, 1.8.0)

AD2: Sorry for this but I don't want to read something about stealing internet. Theese are my work networks. And it's everyones thing what to do with Backtrack. So I would like to read some solution of this, not your long abuses about wifi-hackers. Thank you very much!

I'm not familar with your wireless card, but to see if packet injection is the problem, put your wireless interface into monitor mode and then run the packet-injection test for aireplay-ng:

aireplay-ng -9 <intfc>

aireplay-ng should run a series of tests and will let you know if injection is possible with the card or not.

Good Luck...

First of all nothing in your post seems to actually suggest that injection isn't working properly. The problem you are having with fake-authenticating can be related to a bunch of stuff, whereof the most common is related to the distance to the AP being too great. As cybrsnpr says, running the injection test under aireplay-ng will give you the information that you need. Since you are not properly authenticated it is no point in moving on to the actual attack modes as the AP will disregard any packets injected by you anyway. However the ARP-replay attack has, based on your output, not begun since no ARP packet has been intercepted that could be replayed to the AP. Use another connected client to generate some traffic on the AP, for example pinging an non existent IP will generate an ARP for you to use in the attack.

As for the card itself, unless I am mistaken it uses a Prism 2.5 chipset which should indeed be capable of injection running on the patched hostap driver.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Just burned his ISO

Hmmm. Thank you. Probably hostap drivers wasn't patched in Backtrack 3 final.

Just burned his ISO

Ok. Hostap driver isn't patched for injection in BT3. I have helped myself with patch which I found. Packet injection is half-working now. I have network which accepted my authentification. If I start an attack, I get ARP request and it starts to sending packets BUT no packets appear in airdump-ng. I am sure that all commands are writen right. I have been trying it many times.
    I am sorry... I have still problems.

Just burned his ISO

so the problem is really the Hostap driver in BT3 not able to inject? We have to update/dl a newer version of Hostap right? Thanks, I'm having the same problem