Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 39

Thread: Could you guys order these certifications from best/worst in terms of quality

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    190

    Default Could you guys order these certifications from best/worst in terms of quality

    I'm planning on taking most of these, but since they're really expensive, I wanted to see which certs you guys would recommend

    Network + Certification
    A+ Certification
    Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH) -- I've heard this one is a joke.
    Security Certified Network Professional (SCNP)
    Security Certified Network Specialist (SCNS)
    Security Certified Program (SCP)
    Security + Certification
    Offensive-Security 101 (OffSec 101)
    EC-Council Certified Security Analyst (ECSA)
    Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)
    Certified Penetration Testing Specialist (CPTS)
    EC-Council Licensed Penetration Test (LPT)
    Cisco Certification
    Electrical Engineering course on circuits, capacitors, etc.
    Windows/Linux Professional Certification

  2. #2
    Moderator theprez98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by drakoth777 View Post
    I'm planning on taking most of these, but since they're really expensive, I wanted to see which certs you guys would recommend

    Network + Certification
    A+ Certification
    Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH) -- I've heard this one is a joke.
    Security Certified Network Professional (SCNP)
    Security Certified Network Specialist (SCNS)
    Security Certified Program (SCP)
    Security + Certification
    Offensive-Security 101 (OffSec 101)
    EC-Council Certified Security Analyst (ECSA)
    Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)
    Certified Penetration Testing Specialist (CPTS)
    EC-Council Licensed Penetration Test (LPT)
    Cisco Certification
    Electrical Engineering course on circuits, capacitors, etc.
    Windows/Linux Professional Certification
    What exactly is it you are trying to accomplish?
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

  3. #3
    My life is this forum Barry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,817

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by theprez98 View Post
    What exactly is it you are trying to accomplish?
    Looks like a huge student loan bill.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

  4. #4
    Developer
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    6,124

    Default

    I didn't even see CCNA on your list which in my opinion is critical if you want to do any network work.

  5. #5
    My life is this forum Barry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,817

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    I didn't even see CCNA on your list which in my opinion is critical if you want to do any network work.
    That would probably be part of that cisco certification at the bottom of the list.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

  6. #6
    Developer
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    6,124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    That would probably be part of that cisco certification at the bottom of the list.
    Ahh... I didnt see that

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    190

    Default

    I want to be a pentester, so which courses would u rate as critical?

  8. #8
    Moderator theprez98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by drakoth777 View Post
    I want to be a pentester, so which courses would u rate as critical?
    IMO, experience is more important than any cert.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

  9. #9
    Member hawaii67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by theprez98 View Post
    IMO, experience is more important than any cert.
    That's absolutely true - but when you're looking for a job managers want to see certificates..........
    Don't eat yellow snow :rolleyes:

  10. #10
    Developer
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    6,124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by drakoth777 View Post
    I want to be a pentester, so which courses would u rate as critical?
    I may be way of base here but my experience is this: I will be graduating from college in about a year and 1/2 with a bachelors degree which is infosec/computer science related. I also have 15 years experience working in a extremely high tech field of pro audio which is all computers and networking and other hardware stuff. I am currently looking for a job in the IT field so that I can be home more with my wife and kid. Anyway what I have found is that there is not much chance of jumping into a "pentesters" job right away. At a minimum you would need 5 years of network admin experience plus a college degree before most places will even consider you. I'm just being realistic because I've been looking a lot lately. A lot of companies would rather start people out low level and then hire up inside the company. Also many companies will pay for your certs once you are hired. I'm not trying to dash your dreams but I just want you to here it from someone who's currently looking for a job. I will probably have to start out at a smaller salary than I make now but at least I will be doing what I love and maybe get to be home more.

    P.S. (shameless plug for myself here) If anyone on the forum has any job recommendations or open positions for me please shot me a PM

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •