i have the exact same issue! same setup and device. what's interesting is that if I use the boot cd version, everything is fine. the only issue is when i'm using the vmware version. any ideas on how to resolve this? thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by OnAnotherLevel View Post
Hello everybody. I have recently installed BackTrack to VMWare using the VMware image, not the first link which is the .iso. This allowed me to pick which removable devices I would like to connect to that particular workstation, unlike the first link (whatever the reason for that may be). When I turn on "Realtek RTL8187 Wireless Lan" from the removable devices menu, Backtrack sees it when I "iwconfig". However, once I put "airmon-ng start wlan0" the shell lags or something. It no longer responds to any commands I put in. Also, if I enable the adapter BEFORE starting BackTrack it hangs before even logging into the OS. I tried to include screenshots to better describe what I mean but apparently I am not allowed to do so. Please don't start egging me as this is a "Newbie Area" and search hasn't helped me.