Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alfa 500mW driver issue?

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Alfa 500mW driver issue?

Hello everybody. I have recently installed BackTrack to VMWare using the VMware image, not the first link which is the .iso. This allowed me to pick which removable devices I would like to connect to that particular workstation, unlike the first link (whatever the reason for that may be). When I turn on "Realtek RTL8187 Wireless Lan" from the removable devices menu, Backtrack sees it when I "iwconfig". However, once I put "airmon-ng start wlan0" the shell lags or something. It no longer responds to any commands I put in. Also, if I enable the adapter BEFORE starting BackTrack it hangs before even logging into the OS. I tried to include screenshots to better describe what I mean but apparently I am not allowed to do so. Please don't start egging me as this is a "Newbie Area" and search hasn't helped me.

Hello and welcome!
    Have you started out by upgrading the vmware image to support usb 2.0? Might be the issue.
    http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=14945
    - Poul Wittig

Deathray, just wanted to thank you for the link. I had the same problem with the Alfa under VM about a month ago, and didn't realize that the fix was to upgrade the guest image (even tried searching on the forum...just didn't use the right key words I guess).

Thanks again...

I love when one ends out helping someone else unintentionally :b. Glad you took the time to notify (:
    - Poul Wittig

Quote Originally Posted by Deathray View Post
    I love when one ends out helping someone else unintentionally :b. Glad you took the time to notify (:
    Another thank from me too, Deathray. I had problems with Alfa after I installed patched driver. And I was working on that and searching the forum to finda solution. BT3 began to be very slow at start up and gave unusual messages about network adapters (like Failed to load firmware..etc) at the startup process (or sometimes can not finish startup).

I upgraded BT Virtual Machine to workstation 6.5 and in my first test it comes to KDE screen without any problem or delay. I think that was the problem. Thanks again.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by cybrsnpr View Post
    Deathray, just wanted to thank you for the link. I had the same problem with the Alfa under VM about a month ago, and didn't realize that the fix was to upgrade the guest image (even tried searching on the forum...just didn't use the right key words I guess).

Thanks again...
    X2 TY 2

Yeah I was about to post the same question but decided to search before I did and I found this post. Thanks I think the link should be a sticky IMO.

Have the same issue. Will try the upgrade when I get home

Just burned his ISO

First of, thanks for the quick response. I apologize for being a total noob, but whenever I try to upgrade the tools, the mounted CD opens up with no files or folders in it. By the way, my VM version is 6.5.1. Any ideas?

Your welcome guys and good luck carboncopy

Quote Originally Posted by OnAnotherLevel View Post
    First of, thanks for the quick response. I apologize for being a total noob, but whenever I try to upgrade the tools, the mounted CD opens up with no files or folders in it. By the way, my VM version is 6.5.1. Any ideas?
    I didn't suggest to upgrade the vmware tools. Simply the vmware image. Read the link once more .... But if you still wan't to upgrade the VMWare tools try using the terminal mount /dev/cdrom command instead of KDE's way.
    - Poul Wittig

Just burned his ISO

cheers sorted out my alfa, with this too, was locking up my system when i tried the device switch over, sorted now :@)

Regards

Megazoid2k

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast