Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transmit Power - txPowerTuning

Just burned his ISO

Default Transmit Power - txPowerTuning

Hi,

I have some questions that I find hard to google the answers for and therefore I wonder if you can help me whith those.

Does txPowerTuning negatively affect one's health if setting a too high value (ex. the max value, 36)?
    Is the value that is to be set "Wireless Transmit Power" which has the unit "dBm" or "mW"?
    What is the default value for the Linksys WUSB54GC (rt73)? I changed the value to 36 without knowing what I was doing.

Thanks in advance.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by klaxmax View Post
    Does txPowerTuning negatively affect one's health if setting a too high value (ex. the max value, 36)?
    Maybe. I wouldn't want it sitting next to my testicles or eyeballs for too terribly long.

What is the default value for the Linksys WUSB54GC (rt73)? I changed the value to 36 without knowing what I was doing.
    Doing things without knowing what you're doing, especially when dealing with Microwave transmissions is never a good idea.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Hi,

I have some questions that I find hard to google the answers for and therefore I wonder if you can help me whith those.

Is your health insurance up to date? Radio Frequency power does potentially have adverse health effects. While it is doubtful that a USB could have enough power to damage you permanently, google for "RF" and "Near Field" and do the math yourself. In the meantime, I wouldn't leave that USB dongle in your lap.

Of course, considering that you didn't RTFM first, Darwin's theory might indicate that maybe you should leave it there... Hmmm. Tough call, that one.

Is the value that is to be set "Wireless Transmit Power" which has the unit "dBm" or "mW"?

Thanks in advance.
    There is a search function on these Forums. In the future, it might behoove you to use it, before changing values. Doubly so for things that effect real world values. This is assuming of course, that you don't irradiate yourself further and die in a spectacularly awful manner.

Since the value can range from -6 to 36, it would appear to be dBm.

Using the search function found this particularly useful thread:

http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=15785

That thread included this warning:
    Remember: This value will be ADDED to the default Power stored in the card's EEPROM!
    Valid Values for Transmit Power: -6 to 36 (0xFA to 0x24).
    WARNING: MAY DAMAGE YOUR HARDWARE! - USE AT OWN RISK!
    Again, it may behoove you to search future before changing things you don't know about.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    Is your health insurance up to date? Radio Frequency power does potentially have adverse health effects. While it is doubtful that a USB could have enough power to damage you permanently, google for "RF" and "Near Field" and do the math yourself. In the meantime, I wouldn't leave that USB dongle in your lap.

Of course, considering that you didn't RTFM first, Darwin's theory might indicate that maybe you should leave it there... Hmmm. Tough call, that one.
    Haha... you're just being funny . I'm not competent enough to do those kinds of maths yet. Maybe you can do those for me and then enlighten me with your results .

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    There is a search function on these Forums. In the future, it might behoove you to use it, before changing values. Doubly so for things that effect real world values. This is assuming of course, that you don't irradiate yourself further and die in a spectacularly awful manner.

Since the value can range from -6 to 36, it would appear to be dBm.

Again, it may behoove you to search future before changing things you don't know about.
    I did search about this, but ended up not finding anything relevant about the command "txPowerTuning" itself. There is very likely that the value is dBm but can anyone confirm this? I just want to be sure that's all.

According to "w*w.compusa.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2175860&csid=_21", the Wireless Transmit Power is 17 dBm (~50 mW?), is it that the txPowerTuning is changing? If so, then the factory setting for my card is 17.

What command do you use to check the txPowerTuning value on your card?

Haha... you're just being funny . I'm not competent enough to do those kinds of maths yet. Maybe you can do those for me and then enlighten me with your results .
    Please. I'm not joking about doing Near Field math. If you graduated from junior high, you should be able to the math. It's basic.

I did search about this, but ended up not finding anything relevant about the command "txPowerTuning" itself. There is very likely that the value is dBm but can anyone confirm this? I just want to be sure that's all.

According to "w*w.compusa.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2175860&csid=_21", the Wireless Transmit Power is 17 dBm (~50 mW?), is it that the txPowerTuning is changing? If so, then the factory setting for my card is 17.

What command do you use to check the txPowerTuning value on your card?
    I never use software tools to play with RF settings. The results are often too dirty to the spectrum.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Hardware can be interpreted in several ways -- all of them (potentially) relevant
    dd if=/dev/swc666 of=/dev/wyze

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by wyze View Post

Hardware can be interpreted in several ways -- all of them (potentially) relevant
    I need an adequate answer, not equivocal warnings.

I did some further research about txPowerTuning and I found out that the setted value seem not to be in dBm, but rather some kind of a ratio related to it. Below is what I've got when typing "iwpriv rausb0 txpower". My setted txPowerTuning value is in this case 17.

rausb0 txpower:

Channel | Tx Power
    -------------------
    1 | 0x2c (44)
    2 | 0x2c (44)
    3 | 0x2c (44)
    4 | 0x2c (44)
    5 | 0x2c (44)
    6 | 0x2b (43)
    7 | 0x2a (42)
    8 | 0x29 (41)
    9 | 0x29 (41)
    10 | 0x28 (40)
    11 | 0x27 (39)
    12 | 0x26 (38)
    13 | 0x25 (37)
    14 | 0x25 (37)

How to set Tx Power:
    1. Shutdown the interface : ifconfig rausb0 down
    2. Remove the module : rmmod rt73
    3. Load module and rise txPower : modprobe rt73 txPowerTuning=4
    Remember: This value will be ADDED to the default Power stored in the card's EEPROM!
    Valid Values for Transmit Power: -6 to 36 (0xFA to 0x24).
    I wonder if the figures below "Power" is dBm or mW? When having the max value, 36, the figures are about 60.

Just burned his ISO

Nobody knows anything about this?

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

This would probably be a better question for Linksys Tech support, as they would have the actual spec's.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

I need an adequate answer, not equivocal warnings.
    There's nothing 'equivocal' about the dangers of microwave radiation.

However to answer your question, I don't know if it will damage your health. I do know it certainly has the potential to do so and that your device is only certified as 'safe' providing you don't tamper with it.
    First Rule of Holes: When you're in one - Stop Digging!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast