Thread: BT3 Final Hard Drive Install No GUI

Question BT3 Final Hard Drive Install No GUI

Hello. I am new to this forum and didn't know exactly where to post. I tried posting to the Support forum and to the Bug and Fixes forum but I was denied access to both. I also tried searching the forums but I believe that feature is somehow broke at the moment as I tried to search "gui", "kde" and the letter "a" all with no results.

Onto the problem...

I have installed BT3 Final from my USB drive using the following install method : [method not here as I am not allowed to post URLs yet, however it is the method on the BackTrack 3 wiki howto page listed as Triple Boot]

No matter what I do I cannot seem to get the GUI to work. It boots into a full screen shell sort of thing. It doesn't even have the BT3 background that I always used to get. I have tried editing the grub loader multiple times but it hasn't worked. Everytime I booted BT3 from the live USB or CD I always had at least the background image behind the shell, no matter what mode I booted from.

I appreciate any help I can get. If anybody has any questions feel free to email me.

Quote Originally Posted by ivel999 View Post
    Hello. I am new to this forum and didn't know exactly where to post. I tried posting to the Support forum and to the Bug and Fixes forum but I was denied access to both. I also tried searching the forums but I believe that feature is somehow broke at the moment as I tried to search "gui", "kde" and the letter "a" all with no results.

Onto the problem...

I have installed BT3 Final from my USB drive using the following install method : [method not here as I am not allowed to post URLs yet, however it is the method on the BackTrack 3 wiki howto page listed as Triple Boot]

No matter what I do I cannot seem to get the GUI to work. It boots into a full screen shell sort of thing. It doesn't even have the BT3 background that I always used to get. I have tried editing the grub loader multiple times but it hasn't worked. Everytime I booted BT3 from the live USB or CD I always had at least the background image behind the shell, no matter what mode I booted from.

I appreciate any help I can get. If anybody has any questions feel free to email me.
    yes the search function here on the forum is not the greatest so one of our forum mods SH@M@N VIRTUEL has made this google backtrack search engine
    http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=00...%3Avpdhc1qej9k
    now for your question once backtrack boots up and you type your user name(root) and password(toor) all you need to do is type
    Code:
    startx
    and that will start kde now to do this all when backtrack boots up all you need to do is edit the inittab
    Code:
    vim /etc/inittab
    and change the default runlevel from 3 to 4 it should look like this
    Code:
    id:4:initdefault:

Thanks for the search, that should be helpful in the future. It ended up being a corrupt file system, or whatever. I ran 'fdisk' I believe to find and correct the errors on that partition, and after that it worked. I appologize for the late response, but I have been having trouble with my ISP for some time and with the holidays it was hard for me to get time to go down to my free wifi place like I usually do. I would like to ask what exactly does changing the default run level do for me?

Quote Originally Posted by ivel999 View Post
    I would like to ask what exactly does changing the default run level do for me?
    Changing the default runlevel to 4 will make BT3 boot straight into KDE at start-up. It will also add some additional options to the shut down panel, as log out and end session.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Thanks for all your help guys.