Thread: cant use dict files from my xp c:\ drive

Just burned his ISO

Default cant use dict files from my xp c:\ drive

bt3 is working great. only problem i'm having is when i'm trying to crack my wpa connection with aircrack i try to use a dict file that i downloaded while in xp and stored on my c;\ drive and aircrack keeps asking for a file (-w file). what should i do? can i import those files to bt3? i tried and doesn't seem to work. i'm sure there is an easy answer and i'm to much of a newbie tard, but would apreciate any help. oh and i can get it to work with the supplied aircrack and cowpatty files. thanx in advance

Quote Originally Posted by ebelingbl View Post
    bt3 is working great. only problem i'm having is when i'm trying to crack my wpa connection with aircrack i try to use a dict file that i downloaded while in xp and stored on my c;\ drive and aircrack keeps asking for a file (-w file). what should i do? can i import those files to bt3? i tried and doesn't seem to work. i'm sure there is an easy answer and i'm to much of a newbie tard, but would apreciate any help. oh and i can get it to work with the supplied aircrack and cowpatty files. thanx in advance
    It should recognise your ntfs partition check under /mnt/sda1/ you can open konqueror if your using kde and check the path to your dict file. I can't post links yet, but just search for a linux tutorial to learn about mounting points.

Just burned his ISO

if your dict file is not huge and your just trying it out copy the dict file to your home folder in BT3 it will be easier to access. i have mine on a usb stick, as otkaz stated the path to that is /mnt/sda1/name of file.

also you can go to >system>storage media and find the path to it that way, hope this helps

Just burned his ISO

yeah i figured out it worked from a usb stick. unfortunately when i try to transfer a large file it says uuhhhh.....cant remember exactly.. out of disk space i think. guess i just gotta suck it up and stop putting off learning all about linux anything other comments on this subject, i am all ears. thanx all

Good friend of the forums

How big is the dictionary file you downloaded? How much RAM do you have? I find that aircrack-ng prefers dictionary files that are smaller than the amount of RAM you have. So if you have 1GB of RAM your dictionary should be 768MB or less.
    I like the bleeding edge, but I don't like blood loss

Just burned his ISO

yeah it's bigger than my memory. i tried to find a splitter but was unsuccesful. not enough memory for that as well. i guess i will just try to collect a bunch of smaller files. any suggestions as to where i can obtain GOOD dict files?

guess i just gotta suck it up and stop putting off learning all about linux anything other comments on this subject, i am all ears. ...
    This whole thread is a prime example why the senior members get fed up with many newbies.

Nothing personal, but you're attempting advance pen testing techniques, and yet you don't even know how to do basic file manipulation in Linux. For your own sake, start with an easier edition of Linux, and learn to crawl before attempting to run. Ask questions like this on a basic Linux forum. When you have the basics down in a year or two, come back and attempt the advanced stuff.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Just burned his ISO

well sorry to be such a drain on your existence. trying to learn as best i can. if you have a good starting point for someone who has brains i'll happily go read there and ask questions somewhere else, so you will never have to be bothered with a pathetic newbie like myself. cus god knows you just woke up one day and POOOF you knew everything. congrats on your great god givin abilities. i applaud you for encouraging beginners and not running them off. thank you very much.

Developer

well sorry to be such a drain on your existence. trying to learn as best i can. if you have a good starting point for someone who has brains i'll happily go read there and ask questions somewhere else, so you will never have to be bothered with a pathetic newbie like myself. cus god knows you just woke up one day and POOOF you knew everything. congrats on your great god givin abilities. i applaud you for encouraging beginners and not running them off. thank you very much.
    This crap needs to stop. NOW! I dont know what the F**K is going on around here but I'm ready to just start banning people till it stops. PLEASE be respectful of each other. If you are new and are upset with the answer you get then figure it out yourself and laugh at us later. You cant pentest your way out of a wet paper bag if you cant use google and figure out basic linux commands.