Thread: Question about updating rt73 drivers

Just burned his ISO

Default Question about updating rt73 drivers

hi, ive been reading from this forum and learned a lot, i was even able to crack my wep key several times using a BT3 CD on my notebook, currently im using the Linksys WUSB54GC which works right out of the box!

now im trying to do a clientless one but unfortunately i wasn't successful on all occasions, it was told that the rt73 drivers at the backtrack cd does not support fragmentation attack for my adapter, so i tried updating the drivers for the USB BT3 version.

i followed the instructions here:
    forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=15785&highlight=wusb54gc

copied the new drivers to the root of my usb drive
    cd to the module folder of the new drivers
    run the make then make install

im not sure if it did install correctly but when i ran the commands it did not encounter any errors, so im assuming all worked well. now my question is how can i know if the new drivers were successfully installed? and is it that simple to update the drivers to the usb version?

cause i read a topic concerning on how to update rt73 drivers for the live cd and it was more complicated that this...and still fragmentation attack doesnt work..

Just burned his ISO

i guess i need to find out on my own, anyways thanks...btw if any of you tried updating this kind of adapter please give me a feedback...cant sleep if i cant deal with a clientless one.

cheers

Just burned his ISO

Wow, I can't believe no one helped you D :

I would if I knew. I too am trying to figure out hwo to update my rt73 driver for my Linksys WUSB54GC so that Backtrack can just recognize it

Just burned his ISO

I'm new to the forums too...and I'm currently trying to figure how to update my hostap driver....apparently no one knows or not many like to help.

But to your question...type

modinfo <name of driver> (for me: modinfo hostap_cs)

and it will bring information about the driver I believe (scroll up where it say version)...I did mine for hostap and apparently it's not updated cuz I never did succeed in updating. BTW, my wireless card is not recognized at boot...I have to modprobe it.

The reason nobody has answered is that:
    1. BT3 has the RT73 drivers built in
    2. There are numerous threads covering how to update them if you feel the need to.
    3. This question has been asked and answered so many times, that it is obvious that the search function has not been utilized to it's fullest extent, or that no effort has been put in to help yourself.

Don't take this as a flame, it is merely meant to be a possible explanation.

I use cards that have the RT73 chipset, so know they work out of the box.
    I also know that there are many guides on updating the drivers, as I have used one or two of them, however I never found any real difference in updating them so I don't.

Just burned his ISO

I agree with you Parrot...why bother helping someone if they didn't give any effort in searching the answer themselves (do your own homework). However, you have to admit there's some registered members who just assumes one did not search because they are new to forums or just want to increase their post count by saying so.

Like my first thread that I posted...first thing accused or questioned that i didn't search and how wLan Assistant doesn't work...then there's post from others that it does work for them...

Personally I don't mind answering a similar question if the thread topic is easy to search for others, so if there is such a difference people can discuss about it to make things better.