Thread: how to fix disk full on BT3/4gbEEE?

Just burned his ISO

Default how to fix disk full on BT3/4gbEEE?

Hi --

I ran a bunch of updates (MSF, fast-track, milw0rm) and after all that ran spoonwep for a few minutes, and *BAM* got disk full message.

df -h
    filesystem size used avail use% Mounted on
    aufs 3.7g 3.6g 0 100% /

so looks like my root partition is full.

How do I remove any & all unnecessary files and clean up the install?
    Are there any temp files, places in the BT3 install that I can remove/delete without impacting the system?

thanks in advance!

best bet is to invest in one of these ---> flash-memory-store.com/8gb-secure-digital.html , then live boot with a save changes directory, or search purehates "pimp my eeepc" guide as he does a great job making his distro not only sexy looking (and i mean that in the most hetero way purehate) but streamlined
    open source = open minds, human knowledge belongs to the world

I'm pretty sure you can also put your changes partition on a sd card.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by MrArenpie View Post
    Hi --

I ran a bunch of updates (MSF, fast-track, milw0rm) and after all that ran spoonwep for a few minutes, and *BAM* got disk full message.

df -h
    filesystem size used avail use% Mounted on
    aufs 3.7g 3.6g 0 100% /

so looks like my root partition is full.

How do I remove any & all unnecessary files and clean up the install?
    Are there any temp files, places in the BT3 install that I can remove/delete without impacting the system?

thanks in advance!
    The advice given to you already is very good. In the interim, you can look in the following locations to remove "spare" files:

/var/log: run /dev/null on your .log files and remove any that have a tar.gz or .1 (.2, .3 etc...) extension

/tmp: rm -rf files in that directory

You can remove the milw0rm .tar.gz tarball you downloaded after you extract it and also remove the old milw0rm files.

Run: find / -name *tar.gz -print and remove any tar balls that you don't want or need.

You can remove the /usr/src/linux-2.6.21.5 directory and files (if it is there) but if you need to compile from kernel source later on, you will need them again. (This directory contains the kernel source files)

You can also run "du -h" from /, pipe it into a file and then go through that file to see what huge files are sitting on your system that you don't need. But, be careful that you don't remove some file that you actually need.

Junior Member imported_apprentice's Avatar

i have the same problem i deleted all bluetooth files cause i dont have bluetooth( by searching and through gslapt), same with samba and also all the diff languages files located in locale they take up unnessary room or you can just make a changes folder