Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Netbook/Laptot For BT3?

Default Best Netbook/Laptot For BT3?

Interested in picking up a netbook to run along side my laptop, for wireless recon, I have an interesting dual machine interface in mind. I know there are a few people with the minis out there and was curious as to which is the best? And im having a hard time digging up info on the wireless chipsets, my laptop has an atheros chipset which works wonderfully, and Id like to stick with ath if possible. Recommendations?

Just burned his ISO

I recently got an Asus EEE PC 701SD for free but was dismayed to find they have started using a different wireless card in them. It now uses the RTL8187SE which is not the RTL8187 that is a good one. It is the same card as used in the MSI wind Net book as well. Therefore it no longer works on a default install of BT3 .
    I do like it apart from that though and plan to replace the card with an atheros one or a compatible one I can get from some spares.

My eee 701 works great, though I wish it was a bit bigger. The keyboard us just to small to type on and just too big to use like a big thumb board.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Developer

yeah get a older 701 on ebay or something. I have one of the first ones and it has a atheros chipset.

Just burned his ISO

I think maybe an update to the wiki might be in order to warn about the newer 701s.

Hmm Id rather wait for something new then shpo around for something used... Anyone tried any of the HP mini models?

Quote Originally Posted by abseeley View Post
    Hmm Id rather wait for something new then shpo around for something used... Anyone tried any of the HP mini models?
    I've played with one at micro center. I like it's keyboard better than my eee's. They wouldn't let me boot my usb key on it though. I'm pretty sure you'd have to swap out the wifi card, or us a usb one.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Been using the eeePC 1000h for about 2 months now doing some wireless pentesting and have been very happy with it. One note, I got an Alfa USB wireless to use with it since the built in card was limited in it's capabilities.

So I figure the best bet may be just to pick up an HP, I saw one on display and it has a much easier to use keyboard IMHO then the EEE PC and then just get a wireless usb. Any quick recomendations without making a new thread on wireless usb?

Quote Originally Posted by abseeley View Post
    So I figure the best bet may be just to pick up an HP, I saw one on display and it has a much easier to use keyboard IMHO then the EEE PC and then just get a wireless usb. Any quick recomendations without making a new thread on wireless usb?
    Probably the one mentioned right about your last post.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast