Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Witch card to buy

Just burned his ISO

Default Witch card to buy

First off yes i read the million doller question thread dint help me to much.

I did some research i saw the alfa was the best buy but is there anything that's still good and that works will all the features of bt3 like alfa does and works right out of the box like alfa. Mainly i need a wireless usb adapter ( i think i typed that in wrong order) That works for bt3 because i have a xps M1530 and the wireless card doesn't come up on bt3 and it makes me mad that was one of the main reasons to get a laptop besides gaming and web surfing. So please witch one should i buy or should i just go with alfa.

Just burned his ISO

Default Card to buy

I have a similar question. I would like to know what kind of USB Wireless Adapter I can buy that will work on:

VMWare 6.5.1 (running on windows vista)
    Backtrack 3 - final

Also, what kind of setup do I need to do before I can start using the USB Wifi card in VMWare, if any?

Thanks

When hungry, eat your rice; when tired, close your eyes. Fools may laugh at me, but wise men will know what I mean. -- Lin-Chi
    - - - - - - - -
    I slept once, it was a Tuesday.

Just burned his ISO

So is the ALFA Networks AWUS036HS better then the ALFA Networks AWUS036H becasue the ALFA Networks AWUS036H says u need to configur somthing in kisment and i don't know the tech stuff like that maybe if it was fr windows but im fairly new to linux ive used it befor but like a for testing nothing technigal.

Just burned his ISO

witch alfa is better one needs ot be setup with kismet how would i do that

Quote Originally Posted by taserz View Post
    So is the ALFA Networks AWUS036HS better then the ALFA Networks AWUS036H becasue the ALFA Networks AWUS036H says u need to configur somthing in kisment and i don't know the tech stuff like that maybe if it was fr windows but im fairly new to linux ive used it befor but like a for testing nothing technigal.
    witch alfa is better one needs ot be setup with kismet how would i do that
    You will always have to edit the kismet.conf file for kismet to recognize your wireless hardware, regardless of which card you choose. This is however no harder that editing a single line of text. The required steps for this can easily be found using the search function.

If you find this too technical I would seriously suggest that you rethink your whole plan of using Backtrack at all. And by the way there is no such card as a AWUS036HS, it is AWUS036S and it is less powerful than the H model.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

If you're serious about your plan then I strongly suggest getting an Alfa AWUS036H model as it's one of the best wireless cards I've seen to date (has excellent sensitivity). Editing the kismet config file is no big deal really, you just modify one line to add the source and you're good to go.
    I have the card in me head, but you have the memory problems?

Just burned his ISO

oh ok if its not ahrd then im buying the AWUS036H i just didn't know if its hard to edit kismet i normally jsut use the tools. Not edit them or modify them.

Just burned his ISO

I've probably spent the last month or so browsing the forums researching information on different types of wireless USB adapters and cards that are more positively recommended and the Alfa AWUS036H is definitely one of the more popular adapters around here. It's also the recommended USB adapter listed in the FAQ on Aircrack-ng's website. Like xCPPx mentions and from what I've gathered, the AWUS036H, seems like one of the best adapters you can get your hands on. Hope this helps.

oh ok if its not ahrd then im buying the AWUS036H i just didn't know if its hard to edit kismet i normally jsut use the tools. Not edit them or modify them.
    I hate seeing these kinds of posts. It just makes it all the more clear the level of users that have their hands on Back|Track. Maybe we should petition to muts to add a challenge at the beginning of BT that must be passed before the distro can be utilized.

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast