Thread: Broadcom 94311 Wireless

Default Broadcom 94311 Wireless

I've read that you can configure BT3 to work with a Broadcom 94311 wireless card by upgrading the kernel and using b43 drivers. Can anyone point me into the right direction to doing this?

My wireless card (BCM94311) is built-in to my HP DV6004CL laptop and I'm running BT3 from a USB stick.

Thanks for the help!

There aren't any step-by-step guides into doing this specifically for this distro. You will need to use your head more often than not.

You will need the latest kernel source which can be obtained from kernel.org. The kernel source will need to be extracted and you will need to configure what you want in it. If you want to retain much of bt3's kernel options there is a place where you can copy the configs, search for .config.gz. After all that the kernel needs to be compiled, boot loader needs to be updated if it wasn't automatically updated by `make install' process and you may need to append any new boot options that you require.

These step are not for the faint hearted, if you don't know what I'm talking about, you need to start reading HOWTOs that are scattered over the internet. For starters you need to learn linux basics and then move your way forward into kernel compiling along with bootloader. Along with any attempts to do this, do realise that it will break dependencies with other setups you may have with the usb dongle such as library issues and xorg muckup. Kernel updating isn't as easy as one, two, three... be prepared to fix many dependency issues if any.

Thanks for the insights. I have an older Dell Latitude D600 laptop with a Broadcom chip that seems to work with bcm43xx drivers, so I'll use that with BT3 instead.

I agree, it sounds like a little more trouble than its worth... Thanks again!