Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alright this is ridiculous, Alfa not working, worked 2 minutes ago

Default Alright this is ridiculous, Alfa not working, worked 2 minutes ago

OK, so I posted this on a computer forum, and copied and pasted, so some of the wording is more non Backtrack related people friendly.
    OK, so I have a Alfa AWUS036H 500mw USB WiFi adapter. Working great under my Linux LiveCD and under Windows, all the sudden one day, it won't work. In windows, it just won't connect, it can find the access points, but will never end up connecting, just says connecting for like ever and then says can't connect.

OK maybe I ****ed up, reinstall drivers, still not working.

On the Linux live CD it doesn't work, which is odd because the data on the LiveCD doesn't change, so it has to be a hardware issue somewhere right?

Well...lets keep looking, I go downstairs to my other pc, install drivers, works great.

So it seems as though the adapter is working, and it is PC related hardware issue, what the ****, it just stopped working one day, I don't get it!

Wow wow wow, take it easy :b.
    Try it on a few extra computers just to be sure.
    If it still works, lucky... or unlucky you. Then your motherboard is most likely defect.
    - Poul Wittig

I only have 2 computers, and here is the issue, the motherboard has USB 1.1, very old PC as you can tell, so I have a USB 2.0 PCI card, the Alfa doesn't work in either...and the USB on the motherboard and the PCI card for my mouse and my USB stick so...this just baffles me

Have you ever played with the txpower on Alfa 500 mW:
    Code:
    iwconfig wlan0 txpower <0 to 35>
    That could possibly brick the Alfa
    But I doubt it is broke since you say it works on the other computer. An alive USB 1.1 slave in the year 2009(almost) is something rare :b In other words it's OLD ^^
    - Poul Wittig

Quote Originally Posted by Deathray View Post
    Have you ever played with the txpower on Alfa 500 mW:
    Code:
    iwconfig wlan0 txpower <0 to 35>
    That could possibly brick the Alfa
    But I doubt it is broke since you say it works on the other computer. An alive USB 1.1 slave in the year 2009(almost) is something rare :b In other words it's OLD ^^
    O it is terrifyingly old. Has a socket 423 (super obselete, was obselete like 6 months after release) the first ever pentium 4. 1.3 Ghz...very old.

And yes I have messed with the TX power, no help.

Quote Originally Posted by then00b View Post
    O it is terrifyingly old. Has a socket 423 (super obselete, was obselete like 6 months after release) the first ever pentium 4. 1.3 Ghz...very old.

And yes I have messed with the TX power, no help.
    You misunderstood me.
    I asked you if you have played with the txpower command BEFORE it stopped functioning, as some people have reported that their Alfa's broke after doing so.
    - Poul Wittig

Well now that you mention it, I will tell you my tale.

Yes I had, I used "iwpriv wlan0 highpower 1" to enable high power (out of the box BT3 says the max power is 5) and went now higher than 35dBm.

Although it was strange, when I was cracking wep, it would never capture any data thru airodump (maybe 1 or 2 packets a second) until I set the TXpower 24dBm or lower, then it would instantly start capturing...which I found odd.

Either way, the Alfa works on my downstairs PC so...it can't be broken...can it?

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Yes I had, I used "iwpriv wlan0 highpower 1" to enable high power (out of the box BT3 says the max power is 5) and went now higher than 35dBm.

Although it was strange, when I was cracking wep, it would never capture any data thru airodump (maybe 1 or 2 packets a second) until I set the TXpower 24dBm or lower, then it would instantly start capturing...which I found odd.

Either way, the Alfa works on my downstairs PC so...it can't be broken...can it?
    It's possible that the USB 1.1 ports on the machine that it does not work on is not able to supply enough current to drive that device. Whereas not as much current is used to drive a keyboard or mouse. You may have actually damaged the USB Circuitry to the point that it is unable to supply the current it had previously.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

No the card obviously isn't the issue if it works on your other computer. All the same the issues you have when using higher TX settings does not sound promising. The highpower setting is nevertheless experiential and as mentioned it has been reported to potentially damage cards.
    Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    It's possible that the USB 1.1 ports on the machine that it does not work on is not able to supply enough current to drive that device. Whereas not as much current is used to drive a keyboard or mouse. You may have actually damaged the USB Circuitry to the point that it is unable to supply the current it had previously.
    As long as both of the cards USB plugs are utilized USB 1.1 should suffice for running it.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by =Tron= View Post
    As long as both of the cards USB plugs are utilized USB 1.1 should suffice for running it.
    Or if the circuits are damaged it may not supply enough.

http://hackaday.com/2008/12/17/7012/

Good way to test it out.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast