Thread: Alfa 500 mW ( AWUS036H ) Drivers

Default Alfa 500 mW ( AWUS036H ) Drivers

I should receive mine in the mail soon ^^. So I was wondering what the most optimum driver would be to use in BT3f.

I'm way to confused with all of the r8187 rtl8187 rtl8180, ieee80211 mac80211 so would someone please give me an up-to-date explanation of what to use?

I don't just want it to work with aircrack-ng, I want it to work as good as possible with the suite (: .

Maybe the answer is simple - plug it into a fresh BT3 and that's as good as it gets.
    I really don't know and have a hard time figuring out as most of the information I find seems to be outdated!
    I understand if some people might see this as a spoonfeeding request. Oh wait, it is :b..... But one that I believe will benefit a lot of people! Thanks in advance,

keywords: RTL8187L chipset, AWUS036H, Alfa 500 mW
    - Poul Wittig

Personally I have been using the default driver that will load automatically in BT3 when the card is inserted, r8187. This driver supports monitor mode perfectly, but lacks in managed mode as it does not support WPA/WPA2. For this you will therefore need to use ndiswrapper. It also supports the highpower setting which will enable you to get the most in terms of TX power out of the card.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

What Tron said. The default driver has worked flawlessly for me when it comes to monitor mode and injection. Personally I've never used the card to link up with an access point as a client (managed mode), but I've successfully managed to get the card acting as an AP by using airbase-ng.
    I have the card in me head, but you have the memory problems?

Thanks a lot! (:
    As much of the AWUS036H related content I have been reading here at the forums has included you, I will take that as a definitive answer for the time being ^^
    edit: and you too xCPPx, confirming what Tron says - Even better now (:
    - Poul Wittig

Have a look here
    "Whatever happened to playing a hunch, Scully? The element of surprise, random acts of unpredictability? If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."