Thread: BT3 under VirtualBox!

Default BT3 under VirtualBox!

Hi to all

Yesterday I have installed BT3 on VirtualBox. I am using a Windows Vista box.

I have followed all the steps posted in a topic of How to install BT3 under VirtualBox. Everything looked and worked fine at the time I tested it.
    However today I was a little curious and I wanted to test a command, if it works. So, I let bt3 to boot until the usual stage where it actually asks to put root and toor and then startx.

However instead of putting startx I have put xconf if I remember correctly which actually it automatically figures out the best resolution of the screen I use.

This came out with lots of errors and now after trying it many times when I try to log in using again startx it wont let me. It comes out with an error that says : X server stops running (something similar to that) anyway. I thing the resolution has messed around. Possibly the solution is to change smthing in the configuration file.

Does anyone knows exacty how I can solve again this issue.

Thanks guys!

Sounds like the xconf has screwed your xorg.conf.
    Search for that one , i suppose you have to built a new one / change your old.

Sidenote:
    I've never used Virtual Box , but maybe there's something like the snapshot command in VM
    that you will try and use before playing around with command you don't know.
    Be sensitive in choosing where you ask your question. You are likely to be ignored, or written off as a loser, if you:

* post your question to a forum where it's off topic
    * post a very elementary question to a forum where advanced technical questions are expected, or vice-versa
    * cross-post to too many different newsgroups
    * post a personal e-mail to somebody who is neither an acquaintance of yours nor personally responsible for solving your problem

Post your xorg.conf so we can see how it's setup

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

Thanks for the reply....

Let me just figured out how I can view the xorg.conf and I will post it the soonest I can!

Thanks again!

Guys I am really sorry. I THING i SCREWED the whole thing now.
    I can't access the command line of Backtrack anymore because I forgot to tell you that I have also altered some other configuration parameters in a file which I forgot its name. These alterations have told backtrack to actually boot into the actual KDE environment without even asking for username: root and password: toor.

Is there any other way to access the command line ...to let you know about the xorg.conf file.???

Thank you very much and sorry, if I haven't explained it correctly above!

Quote Originally Posted by ioannou.alexandros View Post
    Guys I am really sorry. I THING i SCREWED the whole thing now.
    I can't access the command line of Backtrack anymore because I forgot to tell you that I have also altered some other configuration parameters in a file which I forgot its name. These alterations have told backtrack to actually boot into the actual KDE environment without even asking for username: root and password: toor.

Is there any other way to access the command line ...to let you know about the xorg.conf file.???

Thank you very much and sorry, if I haven't explained it correctly above!
    Oh wow.... I think you really need to take a step back, start with something designed for beginners (ie Ubuntu) and once you are comfortable with Linux, try again. This distro is not for you my friend....

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

From what I understand...is that you don't even know. I have already BT3 on my actual hard disk installed, before 2 months ago and I am using it very frequently. What about now? The only problem I experienced is when I have installed BT3 under Virtual Box my friend and that's why I posted in this forum and hopefully someone can help me. But as I can see you don't know about that so I better not loose any time any more. I will remove BT3 from Virtual Box and I will install it from scratch again. This will solve my issue.

ANyway thank you very much and hopefully next time you will be a little more friendlier with **Junior Members**!lol

I think this was the point -- to try and explain how to fix this which is possible you would need to delve into the inner workings of linux,

learning how to extract xorg.conf from command lines, reuploading a fixed version and so and so....

it's alot easier reinstalling the whole lot.

Quote Originally Posted by ioannou.alexandros View Post
    From what I understand...is that you don't even know. I have already BT3 on my actual hard disk installed, before 2 months ago and I am using it very frequently. What about now? The only problem I experienced is when I have installed BT3 under Virtual Box my friend and that's why I posted in this forum and hopefully someone can help me. But as I can see you don't know about that so I better not loose any time any more. I will remove BT3 from Virtual Box and I will install it from scratch again. This will solve my issue.

ANyway thank you very much and hopefully next time you will be a little more friendlier with **Junior Members**!lol
    Listen here smack-tard, do you really expect any of us to take you seriously when you don't even know what a konsole is let alone how to access it? What exactly are you using Back|Track for anyway because it appears blatantly obvious you don't have the slightest clue as to what you are doing.

~ShadowKill

My apologies my friend.
    In one of my previous posts I told you that I couldn't even access the konsole because BT3 tries to boot into the actual KDE environment, without sucess at end due to some other alterations I've made to another file, therefore I can't access the konsole. I don't know if you got me this time...

Anyway I am installing BT3 again from scratch. It's better rather than messing around with the conf files.

BTW I am using Backtrack for an experiment I have to do here at home for my uni project.

Thanks!