Thread: Bridging the Gap

Hybrid View

Default Bridging the Gap

I know some of you on here mite flame me for this....bit of background first

Ive always been into computers since i was about 8 years old, my interest peaked about 3 mths ago when i came accross backtrack. im steadly going through the different programs, different 'hacks' etc, the ulitmate goal being freelance comp security for home networks (youd be supprised how many WEP ap's there are in the UK still, about 50%)

Ive been doing my reasearch, finding things out for myself, getting hands on with programs etc etc but im not 100% sure what my next project should be.

What ive learnt so far- WEP insecurities and how to get around them, ETTERCAP and all the features, plugins etc, NMAP simple scaning (which is my current project)

Once ive fully explored Nmap, i.e finding open ports, im not sure what my next project should be.

From what ive read so far it would either be Evilgrade, accessing shared files with Samba, or Metasploit (which i think will be next on the list)

Any suggestions where i should go from here or reading guides anybody can give/point me in the direction of would be much apprisiated

The0

Quote Originally Posted by theoleek View Post
    youd be supprised how many WEP ap's there are in the UK still, about 50%
    Where did you pull this figure from??? watch yourself this is no place for a wannabe l337. Do your homework. This is a professional pen testing forum.
    I feel sorry for them - those who take authority as the truth and not truth as the authority -- Zeitgeist

Quote Originally Posted by mRM3e View Post
    Where did you pull this figure from??? watch yourself this is no place for a wannabe l337. Do your homework. This is a professional pen testing forum.
    Based on my personal experience which areas which i have visited,

Maybe a more accuracte statement would be at least 50% of wireless AP's in UK would be easily cracked open.

Based on WEP, Sky router weakness's etc.

wannabe hacker? lol. Dont project your own hang ups and fears onto me.

I want to help people understand about security. Go to WOLVERHAMPTON, uk, AT LEAST 50% of the buisness ap's are still WEP. where i work for a telecommunication firm, there is a WEP ap, granted i dont know what it is used for, or what info is being passed over it cause i dnt have permition (i really, really, really dont wana risk jail time)

The0

*Based on my personal experience which areas which i have visited,

**Maybe a more accuracte statement would be at least 50% of wireless AP's in UK would be easily cracked open.

Based on WEP, Sky router weakness's etc.

wannabe hacker? lol. Dont project your own hang ups and fears onto me.

I want to help people understand about security. Go to WOLVERHAMPTON, uk, AT LEAST 50% of the buisness ap's are still WEP. where i work for a telecommunication firm, there is a WEP ap, granted i dont know what it is used for, or what info is being passed over it cause i dnt have permition (i really, really, really dont wana risk jail time)

The0

Sorry to be a pain about this... But if you look at my signature, maybe you will understand better... Grammar, spelling and punctuation are very important. More importantly though, is consistency. 50% the time you capitalize AP's and the other half you don't. (sorry, had to do that...lol)

Firstly, I have no idea what you mean in your first sentence... Secondly, As far as WEP security goes... Well, there is no such thing. Wireless security is an oxey-moron. It's basically a deterrent from inexperienced script-kiddies...
    Originally Posted by pureh@te
    You may think its stupid but when you are posting online sometimes spelling, grammar and thought put into the content of your posts is the only thing people have to measure you by and to determine the level of seriousness they should give you. So with that in mind I'd say "Yes" its pretty important.

hi amlord1

i accept what your saying, i have never been great at english, im more of a maths and science kind of guy (seems more logical to me, something i can follow)

what i was saying in the first statement was that based on my personal observations, i.e bored while in the car and looking for AP's on my N95, id say that yes, 50% of AP's i come accross are still WEP encrypted. Thats just my personal truth

in regards to the dangers, i did read something about documenting/recording everything that is done on the network.

I know ive still got leap and bounds to go as i am just a noob. i want to get a fell for this stuff before i take certified corse's etc as i am currently studying AS level Pychology, Greek as a second language (parents have a place in cyprus) as well as working full time for a telecomunications compnay and looking after my family (1 daughter, 1 son to be born about 12th Jan 2009 and my partner)

The0

hi amlord1

i accept what your saying, i have never been great at english, im more of a maths and science kind of guy (seems more logical to me, something i can follow)

what i was saying in the first statement was that based on my personal observations, i.e bored while in the car and looking for AP's on my N95, id say that yes, 50% of AP's i come accross are still WEP encrypted. Thats just my personal truth
    Seeing as you say that you are more of a maths kind of guy you should know that a few hours of logging networks on your phone hardly constitutes as statistically viable data for the whole of the UK.

in regards to the dangers, i did read something about documenting/recording everything that is done on the network.
    There have been quite a few members of this forums posting similar ideas of providing help with securing home-owners wireless networks and I really suggest that you read through these threads as they bring up many good points you most likely will not think of otherwise. A few of which might keep you out of trouble with the law if you do decide to proceed with this path after reading through all the posts.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Quote Originally Posted by mRM3e View Post
    77.81% of statistics are made up on the spot.

Quote Originally Posted by dudeman02379 View Post
    77.81% of statistics are made up on the spot.
    Not the first time I heard that... But I thought it was 69.9?
    Originally Posted by pureh@te
    You may think its stupid but when you are posting online sometimes spelling, grammar and thought put into the content of your posts is the only thing people have to measure you by and to determine the level of seriousness they should give you. So with that in mind I'd say "Yes" its pretty important.

...the ulitmate goal being freelance comp security for home networks (youd be supprised how many WEP ap's there are in the UK still, about 50%)
    You might want to do a search on the forum as there are a few good threads discussing the dangers of working as a self assigned freelancer in pentesting, be it then for small business or home owners.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.