Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shutdown Usage

Default Shutdown Usage

Ok I understand that there is a usage for shutdown. When I type shutdown i get the command and the usage. I follow it and it works for the machine i'm on. Is there a way to use the "shutdown" command for my other computer's ip address to remotly shut it down? i have to have shutdown -k (don't really shutdown, only warn) -t secs 10 hey you then i'll get a message that says i'm going to shut down in 10 minutes. i understand that part. where would i put a known ip address in there if i could?

Quote Originally Posted by 1shot_1kill View Post
    Ok I understand that there is a usage for shutdown. When I type shutdown i get the command and the usage. I follow it and it works for the machine i'm on. Is there a way to use the "shutdown" command for my other computer's ip address to remotly shut it down? i have to have shutdown -k (don't really shutdown, only warn) -t secs 10 hey you then i'll get a message that says i'm going to shut down in 10 minutes. i understand that part. where would i put a known ip address in there if i could?
    I don't think so. You can ssh into the machine and do a shutdown -h though.

This is a cool script to run in a Mac OSX lab. This is all one line by the way. Also run as root or sudo.
    Code:
    osascript -e "set Volume 100"; say -v "Boing" now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the lord my
     drive to keep, and if I die before I boot, I pray the lord the tapes did make; shutdown -h now
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

alrighty, i'll have to look into ssh'ing into a machine because to be honest i have no clue what that even is yet.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

If it's a winders box you want to shut down remotely, you can do that with the PSTools package.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Ya it's just a dell with xp. now you've got me curious because if i can shut down a computer remotely then there are other things i could do. such as transfer files back and forth like a wireless hyperlink. (made one the other day with 3 wires- pretty cool) this could be dangerous if put online i suppose.

Ya it's just a dell with xp. now you've got me curious because if i can shut down a computer remotely then there are other things i could do. such as transfer files back and forth like a wireless hyperlink. (made one the other day with 3 wires- pretty cool) this could be dangerous if put online i suppose.
    And what exactly is this "wireless hyperlink?"

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

i meant that i made a hyperlink in school, which was a direct connection straight to another computer with 3 wires. i thought that maybe a ssh would be like a direct connection to another computer via wireless cards. so it would be kind of like a "wireless hyperlink". i guess i wasn't very specific, but it wouldn't be a direct connection because i would have to go through the router first.

i meant that i made a hyperlink in school, which was a direct connection straight to another computer with 3 wires. i thought that maybe a ssh would be like a direct connection to another computer via wireless cards. so it would be kind of like a "wireless hyperlink". i guess i wasn't very specific, but it wouldn't be a direct connection because i would have to go through the router first.
    You mean you made a serial link connection, I cannot think of any other communication method that would work with three wires. All you'd need for Serial would be Transmit, Receive and Ground. This is by no means a 'hyperlink', and is one of the oldest methods of computer communication.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    You mean you made a serial link connection, I cannot think of any other communication method that would work with three wires. All you'd need for Serial would be Transmit, Receive and Ground. This is by no means a 'hyperlink', and is one of the oldest methods of computer communication.
    Exactly why I asked the question. How would that be dangerous by any means if put on the "inturboxtubez"?

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowKill View Post
    Exactly why I asked the question. How would that be dangerous by any means if put on the "inturboxtubez"?
    It isn't dangerous, anyone should be able to make a serial link, it isn't rocket surgery. I just made some custom serial cables at work the other day.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast