Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thirst for knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by bolexxx View Post
    English isnt a native language in every country of the world
    i agree that people just write something quick to get the magic button to hack the world, but some of them cant speak/write proper English and its not their fault.

and its basic grammar, with an a
    No, it certainly is not. However, those who speak and write English as a second language usually are better at doing so than those who speak it as their mother tongue. It is a very rare person who grew up speaking, say Italian for instance, and thinks that "ur" is a valid contraction of either "your" or "you're" in English. The person posting who falls into the ESL category is more apt to be tripped up using the correct tense of a verb or mixing singular and plural nouns. It's usually very easy to spot and forgive those kinds of mistakes. Plus, half the time those people apologize for their incorrect English in their first post, even though it's usually very good.

That sad fact of the matter is that most of the little tards who post in many forums that either can't or won't spell correctly, and who's grammar is atrocious, are native English speakers.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    No, it certainly is not. However, those who speak and write English as a second language usually are better at doing so than those who speak it as their mother tongue. It is a very rare person who grew up speaking, say Italian for instance, and thinks that "ur" is a valid contraction of either "your" or "you're" in English. The person posting who falls into the ESL category is more apt to be tripped up using the correct tense of a verb or mixing singular and plural nouns. It's usually very easy to spot and forgive those kinds of mistakes. Plus, half the time those people apologize for their incorrect English in their first post, even thought it's usually very good.

That sad fact of the matter is that most of the little tards who post in many forums that either can't or won't spell correctly, and who's grammar is atrocious, are native English speakers.
    My point exactly. Typo's are even expected from good typists, and people who use good grammar. No one is perfect. Thorn for example. He he.
    Originally Posted by pureh@te
    You may think its stupid but when you are posting online sometimes spelling, grammar and thought put into the content of your posts is the only thing people have to measure you by and to determine the level of seriousness they should give you. So with that in mind I'd say "Yes" its pretty important.

Well Thorn i totally agree with you on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Amlord1 View Post
    My point exactly. Typo's are even expected from good typists, and people who use good grammar. No one is perfect. Thorn for example. He he.
    Oops! Thanks for catching that. I do go back and correct typos when I (or others) see them.

I just need to prufreed better.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    Oops! Thanks for catching that. I do go back and correct typos when I (or others) see them.

I just need to prufreed better.
    No prob, I was kidding just the same
    Originally Posted by pureh@te
    You may think its stupid but when you are posting online sometimes spelling, grammar and thought put into the content of your posts is the only thing people have to measure you by and to determine the level of seriousness they should give you. So with that in mind I'd say "Yes" its pretty important.

Just burned his ISO

With all this fuss about punctuation and spellings i think the rules of the forum thread which even though has been stickied should be moved up the list if possible. Also beginners like me appreciate it when junior members like mRM3e give a few answers. Most senior members just correct newbies about their language and leave the question unanswered . Why ?? I understand people like it when everything is kept neat and professional minus script kiddie language but what about the reason why this forum is made , most questions go unanswered by members who have been around for longer and could perhaps be of more help or point out better resources from which one could learn.

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by guruX View Post
    With all this fuss about punctuation and spellings i think the rules of the forum thread which even though has been stickied should be moved up the list if possible. Also beginners like me appreciate it when junior members like mRM3e give a few answers. Most senior members just correct newbies about their language and leave the question unanswered . Why ?? I understand people like it when everything is kept neat and professional minus script kiddie language but what about the reason why this forum is made , most questions go unanswered by members who have been around for longer and could perhaps be of more help or point out better resources from which one could learn.
    Ha! This is my point exactly. This is not a forum of how to hack its a forum created to support the maintenance, distribution and installation of backtrack Linux. Over time it has evolved into a place where people think they will learn to be l33t hax0rs with little or no work. I'm hoping this attitude will die off soon when being a hacker isn't "cool" anymore like it seems to be at the moment. Furthermore every single tool on backtrack either has its own forum,wiki or IRC channel and if they dont at the very least the email addy of the author will be included in the header of the script. What people have made this place into is a place where we as mods and senior members are expected to be able to offer support for every tool in the backtrack aresonal which is quite simply impossible. In fact to further prove my point I bet we get more questions here about aircrack than they do over at the aircrack forums. Did you all even know they had a forum?

I don't mind answering some questions about a wide variety of stuff and I even try to write some tutorials sometimes but this attitude lately that we are somehow n00b haters and that we are non supportive is bullshit! We are here to help support backtrack and anything else is us being nice.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by otacon122 View Post
    This is NOT all it takes to secure a wireless connection, you dimwit. Knock it off with the attitude and give people some real help or keep your mouth shut altogether.

In addition to WPA2 AES with a strong passphrase, you need MAC address filtering, you need to disable the SSID broadcast, and if at all possible, use FakeAP to throw out a list of fake APs while the real one remains hidden. Other things you need to do are use penetration testing to find out what ports you need to shut down (it is recommended that you set the firewall to ignore any unsolicited inbound traffic unless an outbound connection is established first), you need to disable the firewall's ability to respond to PING commands, and you need to test the firewall's vulnerability to ARP and DNS poison attacks as well as ICMP redirect attacks.
    MAC Filtering is not a form of security, it is easily bypassed, it was originally intended as a way to segregate large Wireless network, it was then bastardized and thought to be a form of security. Hiding your SSID is not a form of security either, as Kismet can see them no matter what. How about you try learning something before you start to give advice.

You should probably go now.

EDIT: Dare I even mention that I'm terribly hurt that I was called a Dimwit. I seem to think there's a rule against insulting members, something I believe I have refrained from and only pointed to the facts regarding this certain users issues.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

English isnt a native language in every country of the world
    However, English is the language of this forum.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    MAC Filtering is not a form of security, it is easily bypassed, it was originally intended as a way to segregate large Wireless network, it was then bastardized and thought to be a form of security. Hiding your SSID is not a form of security either, as Kismet can see them no matter what. How about you try learning something before you start to give advice.

You should probably go now.

EDIT: Dare I even mention that I'm terribly hurt that I was called a Dimwit. I seem to think there's a rule against insulting members, something I believe I have refrained from and only pointed to the facts regarding this certain users issues.
    +1 People who make the claims about MAC filtering and SSID broadcasting have no clue how wireless networks are compromised. A friend of mine was told by his IT guy at work not to worry about encryption, just use MAC filtering. It just makes you want to scream sometimes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12