Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: looking for handheld device with working hardware

Quote Originally Posted by relaxis View Post
    The price tag is ridiculously expensive.

The silica is an OS for the Nokia N770. The creators have programmed their own drivers and engineered their own automated wireless network cracking, scanning, vulnerability assessment and exploitation in conjunction with nokia to make it's cards work to the full extent.

To the lower-end consumer, these drivers are closed source and so have to be programmed from scratch
    I believe you are misinformed about the Silica. First, it is not an O/S. Silica is a subset of the CANVAS Pentest suite from Immunity, that has been optimized for wireless pentesting. Also, it is written in python. Not exactly closed source there. Second, silica devices are currently built on the Nokia N810 platform, which has built in GPS. Third, the Nokia N800 series is not closed source either. It is built on osso-linux. My version is running a 2.6.18 kernel.

If you don't want to pay for the custom software, I see Nokia N800 series devices for around $300 - $400 on the interwebs. There are several posts/sites on the web about customizing the device with things like nmap, probably metasploit and other stuff. Haven't checked, but I think that Irongeek may have something on his site about customizing one of these (or similar).

Hope this clears things up a bit.

instead of buying silica from immunity canvas site.better to stick with nokia 770 and put all the tools you like for both wired/wireless PT & VA like metaspolit,kismet etc.silica uses modified kernel of debian linux and uses preemptive scheduling.

Quote Originally Posted by secure_it View Post
    instead of buying silica from immunity canvas site.better to stick with nokia 770 and put all the tools you like for both wired/wireless PT & VA like metaspolit,kismet etc.
    Which was my point exactly. Same hardware, same size, etc. All you would need is to put your super-duper OS on it and there you go. Writing drivers is trivial compared to a fully fledged OS so it shouldn't be that much of an issue....

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

Quote Originally Posted by secure_it View Post
    instead of buying silica from immunity canvas site.better to stick with nokia 770 and put all the tools you like for both wired/wireless PT & VA like metaspolit,kismet etc.silica uses modified kernel of debian linux and uses preemptive scheduling.
    Which, like I said in his other thread about this subject, is flaky, buggy, and too damn slow to be of any good other than saying you can do it. It's like running doom on a Ti calculator, sure you can do it, but it's really not that fun.

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en...0&q=samsung+q1
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12