Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking for handheld device with working hardware

Default looking for handheld device with working hardware

Hi guys,
    I'm obsessed if you haven't yet noticed with writing a pentesting Linux distro for a handheld device that runs working hardware.

I'm looking for a device that is

handheld
    smaller than an eepc
    has 256 mb ram
    a wireless b/g card that supports injection, monitor and master modes
    bluetooth 2.0

GPS would be cool but not necessary

I'm having trouble finding a suitable device, however if anyone finds one be sure to post here so that I can buy one and get developing.

The end result will be that I will post the distro for free
    Getting Airpwn to work is ruining my life

Quote Originally Posted by relaxis View Post
    Hi guys,
    I'm obsessed if you haven't yet noticed with writing a pentesting Linux distro for a handheld device that runs working hardware.

I'm looking for a device that is

handheld
    smaller than an eepc
    has 256 mb ram
    a wireless b/g card that supports injection, monitor and master modes
    bluetooth 2.0

GPS would be cool but not necessary

I'm having trouble finding a suitable device, however if anyone finds one be sure to post here so that I can buy one and get developing.

The end result will be that I will post the distro for free
    Well the Nokia 770 is a decent platform. Check out the Immunity Silica.

The Noko Freerunner (see NeoPwn) works as well. It's all about personal style and preference as most any device, given the correct foundation architecture, can be customized to fit your needs.

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

Although these devices support linux, the hardware does not support features like monitor mode and injection for wifi without plugging external hardware into the device. The idea is to have a device which is discreet, can be easily slipped into your pocket without looking suspicously like a satellite station with bits of wire attaching bits of chernobyl to it.

Although these devices support linux, the hardware does not support features like monitor mode and injection for wifi without plugging external hardware into the device. The idea is to have a device which is discreet, can be easily slipped into your pocket without looking suspicously like a satellite station with bits of wire attaching bits of chernobyl to it.
    Have you actually seen the Silica? Hardly what you're describing at all....

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowKill View Post
    Have you actually seen the Silica? Hardly what you're describing at all....

Yea, we were talking about it in his other thread, I think the $3600 US price tag is throwing him.

Check out the Zaurus, natively runs linux, and can use cf wifi cards.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

The price tag is ridiculously expensive.

The silica is an OS for the Nokia N770. The creators have programmed their own drivers and engineered their own automated wireless network cracking, scanning, vulnerability assessment and exploitation in conjunction with nokia to make it's cards work to the full extent.

To the lower-end consumer, these drivers are closed source and so have to be programmed from scratch - but with little knowledge about how to do this - not to mention the difficulty, I don't think it's a feasible idea.

However, I have found a site that has programmed their own wireless drivr based on mac80211 drivers - if these work - and the hardware supports packet injection and monitor mode, then I SHOULD in theory be able to create an OS of the type I want.

Nevertheless, it would be much simpler to work with a device that supports these features already or is completely open source. As such, the openmoko freerunner is open source but the firmware for the atheros chipset does not support injection - and as I said - I don't feel like programming drivers.

UMPC computers are just too damned expensive. Although this would be ideal - and noting that they do work - it's a shame that the price tag is what it is.

TechCrunch developers are working on a new internet tablet which is open source. With 512mb ram, 3gb storage and a wifi b/g card - it may be worth waiting for it to come out considering the 200 dollar price tag... However, the tech specs have not yet been released and there would be no way for me to test the development of my OS until I get a hands-on copy of the thing.

You can pick up the Samsung Q1 fairly cheap. I've run backtrack on it and kismet worked. Don't know about injection, I don't mess with the active cracking stuff that much.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Where can I find a cheap model? I can only find new versions...

Where can I find a cheap model? I can only find new versions...
    Google showed me a few in the $700 range.

Well the point of showing you the Silica was that it isn't the mangled beast you thought it was. It's simply a very small and compact 770 with all of the features you requested.

You are correct in that the drivers and such are proprietary, but with you wanting to write an entire OS for such a device I could only assume that you were capable and knowledgeable enough to take up that responsibility.

~ShadowKill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast