Thread: High Resolution Screen (Under Virtual Box)

Default High Resolution Screen (Under Virtual Box)

Hi to all,

I am just wodering if there is something that I can do in order to run BT3 under Virtual Box in high resolution (When I mean high I mean 1900 x 1200)!
    or at least a high resolution that is meant high ( such as 1024 x 768)

Is there any way to do that, or maybe some threads already posted that might help me a little.

Apart from that does anyone knows which is actually the best optimization setting that I can put under Virtual Box graphic card memory?

I will appreciate for any help!

Thank you very much!

Code:
    hxxp://tinyurl.com/6gyudt
    Sorry, couldn't resist.

Do you have guest additions loaded? How much memory have you assigned to the video card? What are your settings in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file?

-- Tom

No, I haven't install guest addition tools yet, but I will in the next few hours.
    The configuration setting for my graphic card at this time is set to 120MB.
    However as with the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file I cannot access it, because it comes out with Permission:denied!

Why is it like that? Is it because I use Backtrack 3 under Virtual Box actually?

Thanks!

I believe you must install guestadditions to get a higher screen resolution. Try that first, and see what happens once you resize the window, then you can see if it is necessary to tweak xorg.conf.

As far as video memory goes, I know mine is set at 32Mb and I run 1152x864 (fullscreen) with no problems.

-- Tom

Can anyone provide me with a good tutorial to install guest additions for Backtrack 3 under Virtual Box?

I have search the net but most of them are for Ubuntu.

I think someone should look into making a reasonable tuto or video of how to install guest additions under virtual Box.

That might be a good idea which also it may solve a lot of issues that lot of people have!

Thanks!

Have you tried following the Virtual Box user manual? You probably have an icon for it in the VB program folder.

How about this detailed step-by-step on these forums:

hxxp://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=17289&highlight=virtualbox

-- Tom

Hi my friend

I have just finished from the actual etc/X11/xorg.conf configuration settings provided in another tuto in this forum. I am very happy everything works just fine.I can switch to many resolution modes I wish.

Thanks for telling me the right steps to follow anyway.

However if you don't mind I have a few more questions to ask you, and I will appreciate it if you can answer them for me.

Right (let me just put things in order first )

1. How can I boot into backtrack with a resolution pre-configured, so I don't have to change resolutions, everytime I boot.

2. I bought a little nice wireless card and I need to get it work under backtrack in Virtual Box. Do I need to bridge this card from the Windows Box? I haven't done this before.

last question.....

3. Apart that I have tried a million of times to access /root directory of Backtrack under virtual Box, to actually view all files like you can do when you actually install backtrack to a real hard disk. I don't want to use terminal window to view files, or copy them to another directory. As you know this cost people a lot of time.

I know and I understand that its boring to answer such stupid questions, but asking its not bad, and knowledge comes out only by asking and not doing things alone that you don't really understand.

Thank you very much!