Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Internet not working with BT4 image in vmware player

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Default Re: Internet not working with BT4 image in vmware player

Quote Originally Posted by lupin View Post
    I run double and triple NAT at home without any noticeable problems (perhaps some slowdown but definitely not a complete breakdown of communication). I have run streaming video, torrents, chat, xbox live, etc with no issues. As long as none of your assigned ranges overlap inappropriately there should be no game stopping issues. It definitely shouldn't break a ping. There might be some issues with certain VPNs but even single NAT can break some of them.

Id love to know where the iPrimus support people got the idea that double NAT is not supported by design. Perhaps they just made it up.
    I agree but with one caveat. I have seen double NAT break ICMP traffic in certain configurations.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I agree but with one caveat. I have seen double NAT break ICMP traffic in certain configurations.
    What type of ICMP? I havent really paid any attention to anything other than echo request and reply on my network, e.g. ping definitely works but I have done no checking on the various error ICMP types or the other request/replies. Anything specific about the NAT configuration that causes this?
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by lupin View Post
    What type of ICMP? I havent really paid any attention to anything other than echo request and reply on my network, e.g. ping definitely works but I have done no checking on the various error ICMP types or the other request/replies. Anything specific about the NAT configuration that causes this?
    Ping and Tracert would fail in a configuration I was running at work for a while. I had a Pix501 previously directly connected to a DSL router and everything was working fine, the DSL router was configured as a transparent bridge. I changed to a cable modem, which put the Pix501 behind a NAT on an SMC 8014 router. After that ICMP would no longer function through the Pix501. I made a couple of configuration changes which at the moment I cannot recall, and fixed it, but what had worked before did not. It would seem it was because of the double NAT.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Lightbulb Re: Internet not working with BT4 image in vmware player

I also had trouble setting up the internet connection in vmware running backtrack 4,
    have you tried installing vmware tools in your backtrack guest? that instantly worked for me.
    when your backtrack vm is up and running, go to VM => (re)install tools.
    a new virtual cd drive will be created and mounted, open and install it in backtrack.
    also make sure vmware virtual ethernet is in NAT mode, I've red somewhere bridged mode doesn't work.

Cheers,

Lucifer

Just burned his ISO pennypecker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lucifer View Post
    I also had trouble setting up the internet connection in vmware running backtrack 4,
    have you tried installing vmware tools in your backtrack guest? that instantly worked for me.
    when your backtrack vm is up and running, go to VM => (re)install tools.
    a new virtual cd drive will be created and mounted, open and install it in backtrack.
    also make sure vmware virtual ethernet is in NAT mode, I've red somewhere bridged mode doesn't work.

Cheers,

Lucifer
    Yes i've installed vmware tools. From what I've read, bridged mode doesn't work with the wireless connection.

Quote Originally Posted by pennypecker View Post
    Yes i've installed vmware tools. From what I've read, bridged mode doesn't work with the wireless connection.
    I managed to get the internet working. I disabled ICS, and used the vmware dhcp server to get the ip, and seems to be ok

Thanks for your time
    Last edited by Archangel-Amael; 02-23-2010 at 11:49 PM.

Great to hear it worked, the vmware dhcp server also did the job for me, it was a pain in the *ss, especially for a linux newbie like me.

L.

Quote Originally Posted by pennypecker View Post
    I managed to get the internet working. I disabled ICS, and used the vmware dhcp server to get the ip, and seems to be ok

Thanks for your time
    it's not often enough that i come across somebody in these forums who work out their problem on their own. and thanks for the update too, as this doesn't seem to happen frequently either. so congratulations on solving your problem hope ya stick around!
    thou shalt treat all computers as thou wouldst treat thyself, for thou art the creator of thine own problems.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12