Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Internet not working with BT4 image in vmware player

Just burned his ISO pennypecker's Avatar

Lightbulb Internet not working with BT4 image in vmware player

Hello,

I'm trying to get the internet working in BT image played in vmware player. My configuration is the following :

-a router D LINK DI-524 (non open wrt compatible...) that connects to internet with PPPoE. (I've activated the option to modify TTL, it now makes TTL+1 (the packets that arrive to router are TTL=1)

-xp sp3 host

-bt4 in vmware guest

I'm connecting to the router wireless. I've shared the wireless connection with wm-net8 (and also tried with vm-net1) with Internet Connection Sharing.

The configuration is:
    ---shared wireless network connection:
    ip: 192.168.1.22 / 24 ; default gw: 192.168.1.1 (router's address).

---VMnet8:
    ip: 192.168.0.1 / 24

---router's ip: 10.16.5.67

---in guest backtrack I've configured eth0 like:
    /etc/network/interfaces :

auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet static
    address 192.168.0.2
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    network 192.168.0.0
    broadcast 192.168.0.255
    gateway 192.168.0.1

I've also added in /etc/resolv.conf :

domain localdomain
    search localdomain
    nameserver 192.168.0.1 (address of vmnet8 addapter on host)

With this config, from bt guest in wmware player, I can successfully ping vmnet8 (192.168.0.1), the router (192.168.1.1) and also 10.16.5.67 (router's ip). I can also resolve hosts on internet. But I can't ping other computers on internet, just resolve hosts.
    From what I've seen 'host google.com' command makes UDP traffic not tcp, that can be easily traced with wiresahark from host os.

For example, 'ping google.com' from guest os is not getting any replies back. I've traced with Wireshark and packets are successfully forwarded to the router, but I don't get replies to them in host OS.

I've tries different approaches and solutions but no luck. I've also modified the ttl of incoming packets on my windows host from router, with ATTLFilter program built with ndisapi.dll library, because the packets are sent from router with ttl=1 and they would not be router to guest os by Internet connection Sharing.

Maybe you can see something wrong in this. Thanks a lot if you can assist me a little.

May it be because router's ip is not public?
    Last edited by pennypecker; 02-22-2010 at 09:44 AM. Reason: addings

Default Re: Internet not working with BT4 image in vmware player

Sounds like it could be a routing issue on your DLink router (e.g. no route back to your VmNet8 network). Is your Vmnet 8 setup to use NAT in VMWare or does it use a Host only network?
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Quote Originally Posted by lupin View Post
    Sounds like it could be a routing issue on your DLink router (e.g. no route back to your VmNet8 network). Is your Vmnet 8 setup to use NAT in VMWare or does it use a Host only network?
    Tried both, same thing happened. The router has only a http interface, I don't know how to configure a route on it.

Quote Originally Posted by pennypecker View Post
    Tried both, same thing happened. The router has only a http interface, I don't know how to configure a route on it.
    Im assuming your XP system can ping hosts on the internet? There is no firewalls filtering your traffic? Have you done a packet capture on the Xp system to confirm packets are leaving and coming back?

Which interface on your router is the 10.16.5.67 address assigned to?
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Thanks for replies .

Im assuming your XP system can ping hosts on the internet? Yes There is no firewalls filtering your traffic? Nope, I double verified.Have you done a packet capture on the Xp system to confirm packets are leaving and coming back?Done a packet capture with Wireshark. Packets are leaving from Xp host to the router, but not coming back

Which interface on your router is the 10.16.5.67 address assigned to?WAN interface

Thanks

Thanks for replies .
    Thanks
    The packets that leave the XP system generated by the VM - is the source IP address set appropriately? It should be set to the address of your XP machine 192.168.1.22 if you are using NAT - which is what I recommend under these circumstances. If you still have Internet Connection Sharing turned on, you should turn it off.

10.16.5.67 is assigned to the external address of your router? Im assuming that at some point there is an Internet routable IP address assigned, otherwise your XP machine would not be ablt to communicate to the 'Net...

The packets that leave the XP system generated by the VM - is the source IP address set appropriately? It should be set to the address of your XP machine 192.168.1.22 if you are using NAT - which is what I recommend under these circumstances. If you still have Internet Connection Sharing turned on, you should turn it off.

10.16.5.67 is assigned to the external address of your router? Im assuming that at some point there is an Internet routable IP address assigned, otherwise your XP machine would not be ablt to communicate to the 'Net...
    Hello,
    Yes the address is set properly to my xp machine 192.168.1.22.
    With ICS turned off,I saw the difference in that the routes on my xp machine to my 192.168.0.0 network don't exist anymore. Why turn ICS off? Yes 10.16.5.67 is assigned to the external address of the router and after that there's another router with public IP, that I don't have access to. I'm not on my PC right now, i'll test with ICS turned off when I get back.
    With ICS turned off, I should manually add the routes right? Are other steps necessary?

Thanks

Hello,
    Yes the address is set properly to my xp machine 192.168.1.22.
    With ICS turned off,I saw the difference in that the routes on my xp machine to my 192.168.0.0 network don't exist anymore. Why turn ICS off? Yes 10.16.5.67 is assigned to the external address of the router and after that there's another router with public IP, that I don't have access to. I'm not on my PC right now, i'll test with ICS turned off when I get back.
    With ICS turned off, I should manually add the routes right? Are other steps necessary?

Thanks
    If you are using NAT on the VmWare interface you don't need the routes from ICS. VMWare will take care of redirecting traffic back to your virtual network, (as long as that traffic can make it back to your XP system that is). ICS may put routes on your XP system, but it wont put routes on your wireless router or the router with the Internet IP, and all of these need to know how to redirect traffic back to your virtual network for Internet communication to work. Assuming that your wireless router and the Internet IP router can both route traffic to your XP machine however, then using a NAT VMWare network should work.

Essentially, if you have NAT configured properly on VMWare then any outgoing communication that works for your XP machine should also work for your BackTrack VM.

could this be a problem with the router/winxp/vmware causing a double or triple NAT?

may be worth taking a look into. i haven't ever needed to turn on ics in xp pro for vmware; just bridge the connection if you *really* need to and all these issues *should* disappear.
    thou shalt treat all computers as thou wouldst treat thyself, for thou art the creator of thine own problems.

Quote Originally Posted by xX_Spiidey_Xx View Post
    could this be a problem with the router/winxp/vmware causing a double or triple NAT?

may be worth taking a look into. i haven't ever needed to turn on ics in xp pro for vmware; just bridge the connection if you *really* need to and all these issues *should* disappear.
    I run double and triple NAT at home without any noticeable problems (perhaps some slowdown but definitely not a complete breakdown of communication). I have run streaming video, torrents, chat, xbox live, etc with no issues. As long as none of your assigned ranges overlap inappropriately there should be no game stopping issues. It definitely shouldn't break a ping. There might be some issues with certain VPNs but even single NAT can break some of them.

Id love to know where the iPrimus support people got the idea that double NAT is not supported by design. Perhaps they just made it up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast