Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: How do I get IP address information when I only have MAC address info?

otacon122

Quote Originally Posted by cybrsnpr View Post
    Assuming you have legitimate/legal access to an AP and the WEP or WPA key to authenticate to the AP, then you can use iwconfig to connect to the AP in question and then use dhcpcd to request an IP address. If you don't want an IP address assigned to your interface, you can use dhcpcd -T to send out a test packet that will query the lan's DHCP server. It's response will provide, among other things, the IP range, netmask, and potentially the gateway, dns server and maybe other info as well (depending on how the dhcp server is setup). Use wireshark to capture the DHCP server's response.
    Now you have a way to find the IP address.

Again, assuming you have the WEP/WPA key or the AP is open: If you don't want to use active measures (sending packets from your host), you could just sniff the network until some traffic containing an IP passes by such as a TCP, UDP, ARP, or DHCP packet.

Now, if you need more information on how to use the tools I mentioned, please try the man pages, and work through it. You mentioned you want to learn after all.
    The monitor mode on the card - would I be able to use that to accomplish this, or do I actually need it in managed mode?

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by otacon122 View Post
    I'm sorry if I'm getting on your nerves, but you and every one of the veterans on here are getting on my nerves just as much as I am getting on yours. You and Streaker act like you both have a chip on your shoulders and every post I have read of yours and Streakers showed that neither of you offered me any help at all; from my vantage point, it looked like all you did was give me a verbal tongue-lashing just for being new and not knowing anything about Linux or BT3. I never once got an answer for my questions - all I got was trash-talk by you and streaker and no help from anyone else who posted here.
    I've had about all I can take of you. There are plenty of other forums where you can talk about illegal stuff like "Borrowing" wifi and warez and whatever you want.

The thing that really gets me is that after all your double posting and calling other members names like dimwit I STILL ANSWERED YOUR QUESTIONS. But you are either to slow to see it or just a idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    I've had about all I can take of you. There plaenty of other forums where you can talk about illegal stuff like "Borrowing" wifi and warez and whatever you want.
    Amen to that. You know me; I'm a pretty verbal guy when it comes to crap like this, but the amount of ignorance and nerve that iTard had took every word from me....left me speechless and fuming....

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456